C H A P T E R 2

C H A P T E R 2 - An adventure to Hell, is still an adventure

~ Wild for a while. ~

"How do you plan on getting to 'the lonely mountain' with the orcs roaming these lands? If they're stalking you, you won't get far. The hills roll without cover for too long." Mynë explained, setting her feet lazily upon the table. The youngest looking dwarf with long brown hair stared in shock at the elven creatures behaviour. From all he had learnt and seen, elves were meant to be the highest beings in Middle Earth, with confidence, poise and an ethereal presence, not to say this being didn't carry herself with confidence and knowledge, but she acted less like a queen than most. She seemed more like a posh pirate.

"Mirkwood. It is the only path." Gandalf answered, his eyes watching her behaviour as if struggling to hold back some piece of wisdom or knowledge.

Her brows raised, was he serious? Mirkwood? Did he not know how dangerous that forest was, not to mention all of which lurked in it. She took another piece of bread, "are you sure this is wise?"

Thorin Oakenshield scanned the elf, as did his company, all that lurked around her was a thick air of mystery.

"Is there any other way?" The Hobbit quizzed, kicking his legs back and forth, nowhere near touching the ground.

"No." She smiled, her eyes glazed over in thought, looking off into the distance as if seeing a memory play right in front of her eyes. The elf then gazed at the company in front of her, "I have never been to Mirkwood. I will travel with you."

Thorin hit the table in disagreement, his drink spilling from his cup as he did. He bellowed, "no! Why would we travel with you stranger? You have no alliances, no reason, no identity. What cannot trust you!"

"You also cannot stop me." She smirked once more.

"And what is it you want in return?" Thorin further interrogated, his face in a deep scowl.

"Simple." She took another piece of bread, her hands gesturing wide, "an adventure."

Bilbo's brows rose. She was like him. All she desired was an adventure, he supposed that was alright, but looking deep in her eyes he knew it wasn't just that. She desired something. Yearned for something. But it wasn't adventure, no, it was something much more important.

"Adventure?" Thorin questioned, "you honestly think we would believe that is all you want?"

Her jaw clenched, ready to defend herself when the smallest of all of them stood up for her. Bilbo. "I- I believe her." All sets of eyes stared at him, Isa tilting her head and looking at him in confusion. He looked back at her, sharing a knowing look that seemed to relax her, although she couldn't help but wonder if any other members of the company knew as well.

Gandalf took a puff of his pipe. He seemed tense as he spoke, "are you certain this is what you want?"

"What other reasons are there?" With that said, she stared each of them down one at a time, waiting for one of them to oppose her. Mynë stood up, "good. I will pack and we may take our leave." Strutting out, her feet took her deep into the house, in the room she called her own in her dear friends house.

The company could only look to each other in confusion. Elves were strange creatures, but she was the strangest of all they had met.

"I apologise for Simbelmynë, she does not mean to be so rash. She doesn't know any better." Beorn apologised for the white haired beauty, watching her walk away with concern lacing his features.

"Simbelmynë?" Balin asked, continuing, "dainty, white flowers.. They grow where the dead lie. They say they bloom from the memory of the dead."

"Mmm memory... She does not have it," Beorn continued. "It was dark times. After my capture, I was imprisoned in the deepest, darkest part of the dungeons. All I saw was black... all but a small white flower, bruised and battered in the corner. Surrounded by death, like the flowers. She reminded me so much of them, with no memory, I called her Simbelmynë. We escaped and stayed together, it helped us to survive. She doesn't know who she is, she searched for answers then, she's been searching ever since."

"Explains her eagerness for 'adventure', I suppose." Ori chimed in afternoon being silent for so long, he seemed utterly bewildered by everything the great skin changer was saying.

"She is strong and skilled, Mynë will help you greatly in your quest. She has no allegiance but who she travels with. All she wishes is to find..." Beorn spoke the paused, "it does not matter. But you should have no problem trusting her." Beorn promised the company, pouring drink into a cup.

Gandalf nodded, making eye contact with Thorin. "It is settled then. Simbelmynë shall join the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

Thorin seemed less than impressed by the wizards words but didn't make any effort to fight him.

"I did not need an invitation, but I appreciate it." The female spoke with jest, reappearing at the doorway, leaning on it nonchalantly. Her nimble and pale fingers rubbed her wrists, reddened from the shackles that had been there for who knows how long.

Her outfit consisted of multiple assortments of brown fabrics made into a shirt, pants and skirt, tied together with brown leather. She wore no armour, nothing covering her arms, except her hand and wrists as she wound a long cloth over and over to cover them like long fingerless gloves. Supposedly to stop the metal from digging in. Her hair stood out amongst the brown outfit, held back only partially The only thing that stood out in all the brown was the carved necklace framed between the pale skin of her neck and chest, from where the company sat they could not identify exactly what it was.

"We are losing light, company," She teased, sauntering outside.

Solmyr, a grey gypsy horse, patiently waited for the elf outside, scuffling up to her the moment he spotted her. Pale hands stroked his dark mane, contrasting with his lighter grey coat. He was magnificent. Beautiful on the outside as he was on the inside. Solmyr was the most loyal companion she could ever ask for, fast, durable, and smarter then any horse should be. The only downside to her beloved friend was his height, Mynë was quite petite for an elf, and Solmyr being as tall and elegant as he was proved to be a problem occasionally. However, being the smart horse he was, he had gotten into the habit of bowing slightly, making it easier for her to hop on.

"Look what I got for you." She spoke, pulling out a bright red apple from behind her back. Solmyr's eyes went wide, immediately biting down on the delicious looking fruit. "Don't tell Beorn, ok?" She quizzed watching as the juice dribbled out of his mouth along with chunks of apple.

"I saw you take it, Mynë." Beorn stated from behind her. "However, I'm sure he would have taken your secret to the grave," he joked, reaching out and petting the horses crown.

"I know. I choose my friends wisely, my friend, you know that."

"And I am honoured by it, my friend." He smiled slightly, giving her an adoring look. "Are you certain you will be ok, Mynë?"

She smirked, "when have I ever not been?"

Beorn stared down at the Elleth, "this is different, Mynë, this quest, these people... You will be hunted by orcs, burgling a dragon, facing the Mirkwood elves and who knows what else. Are you sure you are ready for this?"

"Of course." She replied easily, fondling the ornament that hung around her neck, "Beorn, there is no other choice for me, you know that. I will not rest until I have searched every inch of Middle Earth. It is my purpose."

"I cannot stop you." Beorn sighed, pulling out a brown sack from behind him as well as a black cloak. "Take this, everything you'll need is inside." He passed it to her, watching as she tied it to the horses saddle and wrapped the cloak around her shoulders. "You best also not forget this." He handed her a sheet of indented metal.

"Thank you, Beorn. You are my dearest friend." The white haired beauty thanked him. Mynë stared at the metal in her hands. A mask. Full face it covered every detail except her eyes, the rest of it was bare hiding everyone from knowing if she even possessed a nose, mouth or chin.

It didn't hide who she was, no, it let everyone know who she was. What she was. Nothing.

She was no one.