C H A P T E R 6

C H A P T E R 6 - Every wound will shape me, every scar will build my throne

~Attempted burglary~

Dropping into the tunnel, her swords remained raised, if she knew about the walkway there was a possibility the archer would follow straight after. When the noise of steps faded, only then did she sheath the weapons. Bright blue orbs searched the lit walkway, taking note of how it only led inside to what she presumed to be the palace of Mirkwood and yet not leading further to the outskirts of the forrest. It was strange, although she supposed if someone did not know the forrest they could easily be lost and finding the walkway would be impossible. To those who did not know of it at least...

Removing the mask, she wiped her face of sweat, blood and dirt that covered her face. Simbelmynë breathed deeply, breaking from the excitement of the quest. With one hand on a blade, she begun walking, alert for anything that may be lurking.

Surprisingly, it was not long before she reached what looked to be the inside of the castle, following flights upon flights of stairs leading up and high. In one piece of the castle tunnel it led in a small stream of light covered by vines, moving them across Simbelmynë found herself gazing into the intricate halls of the Mirkwood castle. It was beautiful. The halls were intricate and winded effortlessly, matched with the tall ceiling and high arches. It looked like the heavens.

The only thing out of place were the twelve small dwarves being escorted in her direction, above some levels. The company of Thorin Oakenshield.

Simbelmynë tiptoed up the stairs hastily, trying her best to not make much noise. Only when she could not go much further did she stop. At the end of her path was what looked like a door made of stone which had a small window that could be easily slid across to look out. But all she saw was the back of an Elven warriors golden armour.

Her eyes widened. She had an idea. Reaching with pale fingers into a compartment within her boot, picking out a small vial. She took that apart carefully, letting a small needle fall into her hand. Poison. Not enough to kill, although she had plenty of those, but just enough to make someone sleep.

Opening the door ajar slightly, she prepared her assault. Striking, the elf pushed the poison into the exposed part of the soldiers neck. The soldier made no sound or move, he simply dropped, Mynë catching him and pulling his body into the hideaway before anyone could notice or hear.

This was going to be unorthodox....

Not too sound too narcissistic of full of herself, she reckoned she would look pretty good in this armour, even if it was more so suited to a male. She exchanged her mask for a helmet, tucking her long locks into it.

Simbelmynë left the passed out elf inside the hidden walkway, shuffling to the post the armoured elf was standing.

"Some may imagine that a Noble quest is at hand. A Quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon." A deep voice echoed from behind the large pillar like object.

From above she could see what looked to be a large chair or throne and to the side were the steps leading to it.

"I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary, or something of that ilk." The voice continued, sounding powerful and direct, captivating her burned ears. It was a voice that made her eyes yearn to behold. The shouting, disagreements and overall nonsense of the company talked over the voice, arguing with everything he claimed. "You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule." He said.

"It is his right to rule! He is the King of Erebor!" Balin justified, arguing with who must have been King of Mirkwood.

With the dwarves as a distraction, she tried her best to act soldier-like, marching from behind the throne and standing to just in front, unmoving with weapon raised like a perfect soldier.

From this vantage point she could see the entire situation being played out, and the elf speaking was definitely the king. He had straight long hair with an intricately weaved crown upon his head. Decorated in what looked to be the finest silks in all the land, which billowed behind him as he walked. She could only imagine what his face would entail. He was probably very beautiful, and terrifying. Among the dwarves were the same elvish guards and the blonde elf she had fought in the forrest.

"A King's jewel." He proclaimed, "you hope to reclaim the Arkenstone..." The King trailed off, his ring adorned hands going behind his back as he paced, before stopping in his track. "I know you would not be able to reclaim something so guarded without the help of an outsider." He suddenly stated.

As if an extension of himself, a long sword dropped and he swung it back at her. As easily as he swung the blade, she blocked it with her own. Both swords kissing, neither made a move.

"You dare try to harm the King of this land?" The elf snarled, applying more pressure on his blade. The stranger didn't budge even though the pain in her wounded sides were screaming.

"You dare take my company." She was female, that much he knew.

With another blade in her other hand, she swiped below at him. He stepped back quickly, watching as she turned with a blade in each hand, continuing to swipe at him before standing and swiping with each blade one at a time. The King blocked every swipe and attack she made lazily, enjoying the fight before he got bored. When he was becoming intolerable thats when his attacking and blocking became more powerful, more aggressive.

The King backed her into the corner where steps rose to the throne, attacking her without mercy. Simbelmynë kept up the fight, hitting his weapon back and kicking him back, pushing her own body back and up. She flipped back onto the steps, finally having the high ground. Although compared to her height it was more like even ground. She swiped the dagger once more, catching his chest and leaving a cut in his clothes only just reaching his skin.

But the King did not stop. Mynë's steps took her backwards up the steps of the throne as he walked forward, both still caught in the duel. Somehow, neither landing any blows.

The Elleth kept close eye on the approaching end of her path, already knowing he had one the fight. In a desperate attempt, she threw two daggers from one hand, hitting his sides, blood seeping through his silks, not slowing his attacks in any way.

"Simbelmynë! Be careful!" Thorin yelled from below, watching as his new friend whom he had grown to like stepped closer to the edge.

"I do not know if you are either bold or foolish.." he chastised her, watching the edge closing in on her, she made an effort to swing her body from behind the throne and swipe him off the ledge with her legs but he stepped away, watching as she managed to hang onto the throne about to pull herself up when he grabbed her armoured wrist. "Foolish." He gritted, using his sword a final time, knocking the helmet off with the hilt, her hair covering her face as he struck it with the blade, letting go of her wrist simultaneously.

Simbelmynë didn't even know what hit her, it all happened at once. Never in the life she had known had she been beaten. It was like he knew her every move and was ten steps ahead at all times. She felt a sharp forceful pain and her head flew back, she felt the sensation of falling and her arms reached out hoping to grab onto something, anything that could help her. Nothing did. 

She hit the ground, hair splayed around her head, back and head aching with pain. Her mind went blank. But not before seeing the handsome kings shocked expression from above. Her eyes closed to the sound of the dwarves yelling and arguing and the sight of tearing blue eyes.