C H A P T E R 19

C H A P T E R 19 - Let go, spare us both this pain

~mind unchanged~

Thranduil's eyes caught her from across the room, the moment she stepped in it. How could he not? The bright blue gown embellished with gold hung from her body so perfectly, the colour bringing a glow to her skin.

The King could not help but stand from his seat, ignoring everyone around him. She consumed him every time she stepped into the room, and every time she left she would consume his every thought too.

She stood before him with a small smile, inclining her head slightly to him. Thranduil bowed his head shortly to her, slowly approaching her side and holding out his hand.

"You look more beautiful than the stars above us..." he whispered once her hand was in his own.

She rolled her eyes sheepishly, "it did take me far too long to get dressed, so I hope so."

"May I?" the King posed, his other hand extended to hold her other. He watched as she thought, looking down at his open hand with curiosity, before she nimbly placed her own in his.

"Watch you toes," Simbelmynë warned with a smile, the two falling into the dance naturally. To anyone watching they would think they had made these same steps a thousand times. It looked so natural. It felt natural. She scanned his face, watching his stare off into abyss, he looked... stuck. Thoughtful. Her fingers danced across his hand, taking his attention from space, "where does your mind wander?" she asked him, watching his brow furrow for a moment before looking at her seriously.

"Why did you never look to Mirkwood for your family?" He asked seriously, the question had been plaguing his mind for so long.

"I'm sure it would have been next on my list," the blonde elleth assured him, counting the steps in her head to keep her feet in correct time.

"So, you have not scoured the entirety of middle Earth?" he further quizzed. Surely she had enough time to scour almost every part of Middle Earth.

"I have not had the time," she mumbled.

He frowned, "how so?"

"Well, I have only been free a mere ten winters," Simbelmynë explained simply and sorrowfully. Looking back at him, only to see terror grasping him, "is there something wrong?"

"Ten winters?"

"Well, yes, many of those were also spent helping create a home for myself and Beorn. My mission was important, but what friend would I be if I abandoned him?"

"Simbelmynë, how long do you believe you were imprisoned?"

"I don't know, where I was imprisoned it was dark, I knew no light, whether day, year, or century passed; I did not know. I could only assume no more than another ten seasons change," she thought aloud, not seeing the way the kings face dropped so quickly.

Ten seasons.

Years.

She genuinely believed it, believed she had only lost twenty years of her life. It all made sense, why she was looking so desperately for a young child. Simbelmynë truly had no idea how much time had passed, how much the world had changed and how much himself and their child had changed.

Legolas was not far from three thousand...

Almost three thousand years. Gone. She had no idea.

"Excuse me," he uttered quickly, his hands falling from hers, quickly bowing his head as he took his leave.