C H A P T E R 20

C H A P T E R 20 - R E G R E T

~𝕞𝕪 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕤𝕥 𝕓𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖~

~𝕚𝕤 𝕓𝕖𝕥𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕟 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨~

~𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕗𝕖𝕖𝕝~

Thranduil had long gone to sleep, his soft breaths echoing in her ear

Thranduil had long gone to sleep, his soft breaths echoing in her ear. The elleth found herself lying snug on top of his naked form, her leg tossed over his and head resting on his chest. His only privacy covered by the pristine white sheet.

Her bright eyes were wide, gazing through the open balcony to the world outside. His chest was warm, as were the furs they lay upon. She didn't want to move, this was a moment she could stay in forever.

It was a shame that life was not so fair.

Simbelmynë watched on as the sun travelled into her view. It was time for her to go. If only it could have all happened differently, maybe in another world they would have woken up together, each with a smile and relish in one another's presence.

But, no, instead she was left sneaking out of the King's chambers.

It felt vulgar.

Not what they did, rather simply her reasons for it. She would not take back a single thing they did this night, merely the circumstances.

Carefully moving from the bed, Simbelmynë gazed down at his figure one last time. She didn't want to forget anything. The way his brow furrowed in his sleep and his hair laid out so regally. Swallowing the lump in her throat she turned away... if only she could remember it all in this moment.

Locating her dress and coat, she reached into the pocket, pulling out the piece of paper from it and placing it beside the king as he rested.

From beneath the bed, she pulled out the garments she had hidden, dressing herself as quickly as possible before reaching for the long rope of sheets she had made all those days ago. From the king's balcony she could make it down to the ground and make a beeline to the stables.

Throwing the sheets from the balcony, she watched them unfurl to the bottom. With one deep breath, the elleth forced herself to not look back.. every look was another reason to stay.

Holding tight, she jumped, floating down further and further until she reached the ground with a light thud.

Rushing to the stables, Solmyr stood waiting already tacked. Patting his shoulder, she walked past him to the barrel of hay in the corner, pulling it open and retrieving various blades from it.