C H A P T E R 17

C H A P T E R 17 - I could survive a life alone, but I would rather die than wish that for you

~Forever too long~

"How did I know I would find you here?" the King's voice quizzed, as he strutted into the stable. Immediately he caught sight of the woman clad in the blue gown, tending to her beloved horse.

Without so much as a look in his direction, she replied, "perhaps because you asked where I was going when you thought I was escaping?" 

"Perhaps," Thranduil spoke simply, stepping further, closer to her and reaching to pat the horses mane, "he is a beautiful steed,"

"He is. Inside and out." Simbelmynë stated, patting the horses snout and smiling slightly as the steed nudged her hand further.

"You said he has been with you for a long time..." the king began once more, watching the elleth so gently pat and comb the horse. She hummed, gesturing him to continue. "Was he truly all you had?" he wondered.

"Nay, my friend, Beorn, has been there since I can remember. We escaped our imprisonment at one another's side and my dearest friend he remains," she explained. It felt strange revealing all of this to the ellon, however, it felt easy telling him these details, "Beorn is a changeling, a bear, very interesting party trick,"

The King chuckled slightly, "I am elated you had the company,"

Simbelmynë could not help but notice the concentrated look on the King's face. Deep in thought, an inward argument with himself.

The elleth interrupted his thoughts, "tell me about her,"

"Hmm?"

"Tell me about your wife," she inquired, placing the comb away and reaching for a soft brush and brushing the horses body. Without any eye contact, she continued, "I understand your beliefs, but just pretend you have none, and tell me, what was she like?"

"I have not spoken about her in centuries," he thought, freezing slightly at her questioning. He had not spoken of her in so long, he was worried he had forgotten how to. When Legolas was a mere babe it was all he spoke of, but he feared the questions the child would grow up asking. It was easier to say nothing, to see nothing, to feel... nothing.

Simbelmynë put down her equipment, turning her back on Solmyr and facing the king, "don't tell me after all this you've forgotten what she is like?"

"Never." He spoke lowly, his eyes zoning in on her form, "Asteraêa was unlike any elf I had ever known. She was humorous, pragmatic and intelligent... She never cared for material things, although she had many, she was adventurous and yet loved nothing more than home. A gifted fighter, gracious queen, and although brief Asteraêa was an innate nanneth,"

How could she be such an elf? So adored by this ellon in front of her. Simbelmynë could only wonder, "she sounds perfect," 

"Not perfect to everyone, but she was more than perfect in my eyes," Thranduil reminisced, thinking back to the many times Asteraêa had acted beyond lady-like or put some entitled noble in their place.

"Oh, please, go on..."

"Asteraêa did not care for regality, she never sought out to change that for anyones approval, not from any family, royalty or government officials. She did whatever she thought right, acted how she wished, even if others disagreed," he explained further.

"So she had plenty of foes then?" Simbelmynë continued her interrogation, leaning back on her elbows against the gate, feeling Solmyr's soft breath on her shoulder.