Chapter 23. Back to the Start

~ August 22nd  1966 ~

I walk by Dally's door once more, but this time i stand in front of his room. I stare at the box sitting on his bed. I then walk in and place my fingers against the box. I say under my breath             " Today is August 22nd...19..66." I then stand up and pick up the box. I bring it down stairs, and then onto the kitchen table. The first thing I notice is a letter. I pick it up out of the box and carefully open it. 

It read "Dear Brodi, by the time you read this, it would be the one year anniversary of my death. I'm sure you thought about me everyday, but so did I. I always did. Writing this letter made me think a lot, and i feel its time you should get an apology. Brodi.. I'm sorry about my attitude, I'm sorry for being abusive towards you, I'm sorry about my drinking problems, I'm sorry about the fights I had, but I'm mostly sorry for not being able to be with you during hard times, or even now. You have to remember all the bad times at one point. It will never go away. I never thought I would leave you this way, and even though i'm dead, i regret it. I want my story to be told, and passed down. There's no stopping of what you did, and i'm not mad. I know you will make a great mom. 

                                To the most important person, an the one I love most..

~ Dally"

I place the letter on the table, and as I do I begin to cry. I look up the stairs thinking about my baby upstairs in my room sleeping. I then say under my breath " how did he know" I wanted to cry, but i also smiled.  Now all I could think about is Dally. I haven't seen anybody in a year. not even Pony, Steve, and even Soda.  I never wanted to see them again anyways. I begin to look through the box again.

As I do I find old pictures of me with Dally, we were so happy. Pictures of when we were no older than two, until I was 14 and Dally was 17. Even things we used to have as kids are in the box. I almost want to cry again, but I don't. After placing everything back in the box I hear someone at the door. I regret opening it.    " Soda....?"