Chapter 1

Moving to a new state two days before the start of senior year blows. Since third grade my best friend - well ex-best friend, Jenna and I have had our senior year all planned out; between the senior trip, prom and graduation we had it all written down in a notebook. Now that pink marble notebook with stickers and pictures of our youth sits in a brown Home Depot box mocking me from it's spot on the floor.

The front door to our new apartment slams shut as mom screams, "Could use a little help, Morgan."

With a heavy sigh I stand from my crouched position on the twin mattress that sits on the floor. The moving van gets here tomorrow with the rest of our belongings. There was only so much mom could shove in the back of our old Dodge caravan, our bed frames not being one of those items.

The apartment is small, only two bedrooms. You'd think since mom is now the Super of Sunrise Apartments that they would have given us a more spacious apartment, but that's not the case and we are going to have to get used to the tight quarters. I guess I shouldn't have expected much, the place is kind of run down and reminds me of a creepy motel. The only thing keeping me from thinking this is the start of a cheesy horror movie is that it has a fancy court yard and a pool, which feels more updated than the apartments themselves.

"There's a few more boxes down there, they are labeled Morgan's books and things. Don't forget to lock up when you're done."

Mom tosses me her keys and I catch them midair. I stare at them for a moment contemplating driving the almost two thousand miles back to Tulsa, but after dodging several accidents and with mom's erratic driving, I don't think I'll ever get behind the wheel again. The two thousand mile journey over here was filled with lots of breathing exercises and blasting music through my headphones.

"Hey."

Before I can move mom takes three giant steps forward and rests her hand on my shoulder. I glance up, mom's sun kissed skin shimmers in the light from the skylight above us.

"I know this move was sudden and you're angry with me, but you know the saying..." she trails off.

I raise a brow at her, hoping she gets to the point Soon.

"When life gives you lemons...."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I got it."

Her hand drops off my shoulder and I head for the van. Our apartment is on the second floor, so when I step outside I'm looking down over a metal rail into a small lot. The metal stairs make a lot of noise as I rush down them and into the parking lot. The van is parked right out front. I pop the trunk, the two boxes mom was talking about is the only thing left in the van. I attempt to pick up both at the same time, but with all the hardcover books and notebooks it's just too heavy. I grab one and turn slamming the box into a hard body, they grunt.

"What the..." I say, almost dropping the box between us, but strong hands grasp the underside to steady it.

A boy around my age stares at me, his wide chocolate brown eyes meet mine and I find myself drawn to his freckled cheeks.

"I'm sorry, I was about to come over and introduce myself," he says.

His hand shifts under the box and for a brief second the tips of our fingers touch and I swear there's a strange zap of electricity that flows between us. He doesn't look phased so I know it's just me.

"I'm Ethan. Ethan Marley," he says, his eyes never leaving mine.

I give Ethan a friendly smile.

"Morgan Adams," I replied.

I feel like I should shake his hand, but then I may drop this box on both of our feet and the two of us would have crushed toes, and there's no way I want to start my senior year on crutches.