Chapter 35: The Only Wedding That Matters

~Charlotte~

When we arrived back at Sanditon House, after the long trip from Willingden, Georgiana went straight up to her room to go to bed. I stayed outside with Heraclitus and Sidney lingered behind walking in the moonlight with me. He reached for my hand and in the darkness pulled me close and kissed me passionately and urgently. Our bodies swayed back and forth as our mouths discovered what they had been missing the last few days being apart. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him down to me while I stood on my tiptoes to reach him further. When he stopped kissing me, he let out a long sigh and rested his forehead against mine.

I kept thinking about if he hadn't come back and still been on his way to Antigua. Could we have gone two years not seeing each other? I truly didn't think so anymore.

"If we ever run into Mrs. Campion again, remind me to thank her for boarding that ship with you," I said.

Sidney laughed and lifted his head from my forehead so he could look directly at my face. "I suppose I have much to be thankful for in that one decision she made. I don't know if I'd go as far as thanking her though. I am glad I had the good sense to jump off the ship. Perhaps someday I'll be able to get my trunk with much of my clothing back. Thankfully there was nothing too important in there."

"I don't wish to ever be parted from you again," I said sincerely.

"We won't have to after a fortnight," he assured.

"What do you suppose my sister and Crowe are doing right now?" I wondered.

Sidney looked down like he was embarrassed by my question. "I'm sure they are enjoying themselves. I'm quite jealous, to be honest. I wish it was us who got married today and it was us who were sharing a bed tonight. I'm finding it hard to restrain myself when I'm with you."

"It'll be here before we know it. We will survive," I assured.

He groaned and pushed his forehead against mine with a bit of force. "I know you want to wait, but it's excruciating for me."

"How so?" I wondered completely unfamiliar with these matters.

"My entire body craves your touch, your kisses, your breath against my skin. I'm dying to be alone with you and make you mine," he said through gritted teeth.

I leaned up and kissed him, letting my lips linger against his. "It won't be long."

He sighed again. "The longest two weeks of my life, I'm sure."

"Where are you taking me for our honeymoon?" I asked. He had been so secretive about where he was taking me only asking rather bizarre questions like if I would need someone to help dress and undress me or if I knew how to cook and if I wanted to go to a big city like London or if I'd rather go somewhere more quiet and secluded? Of course, I chose somewhere secluded. It seemed as if everywhere we went there was someone standing nearby, whether it was a family member, a member of the house staff, or even just a stranger on the street. We were surrounded at all times. This moment we had outside in the dark was a rare moment that never happened. Even though I was freezing, and I was sure he was too, we still didn't move to go inside where we would once again be surrounded.

"Somewhere special," he answered vaguely.

I sighed. "I wish you would at least give me a hint so I know what I should pack."

He chuckled. "I don't think you'll need to pack much. I highly doubt we will leave the bed much."

"Sidney!" I reproached.

He laughed more and pulled me to him again. "I'm only giving you the hint you asked for."

I looked up at him, letting our bodies sway back and forth. "No theatre or social events?"