Chapter 2: Willingden Ball

"Out of the question!" my father spat, hitting his fist against the table.

"Papa, you don't tell Lady Denham no," I said. "I must go. And Alison will go too." I reached for Alison's hand in support. She gave me a slight smile which told me she worried father would say no despite the firm request from Lady Denham.

"How can I send my daughter back to a place that has brought her so much pain?" he asked.

I sat down next to him and placed my hand on his clenched fist. "Papa, Sanditon didn't bring me pain. In fact, Sanditon brings me much joy. Being away from Sanditon is what gives me pain. I long to be back there," I explained knowing deep down it wasn't quite the truth. I did enjoy Sanditon, but it was the pain my memories may bring me that made me dread going back. At least this time Alison would be there to comfort me, if father approved.

"I'll take care of her father," Alison added sitting down on the other side of him. "If I suspect Charlotte isn't happy in Sanditon I'll bring her right back home."

He sighed heavily looking between the both of us. "If this is what you both want." Alison squealed with excitement and hugged father tightly. I tried to smile to show my own happiness, but I couldn't be as excited as Alison. I truly hoped Alison would have a better outcome on this adventure than I did.

"What about the Willingden Ball coming up?" mother reminded. I must admit, the thought of a Willingden Ball held little value to me after attending the grand balls in Sanditon and London. Willingden Balls were small, rather common, and oftentimes mundane.

The words Mrs. Campion spoke at the Regatta crept up in my thoughts. There must be a boy in your village who has caught your eye. Indeed, there was no one. The thought of even considering someone from my village had me amused. Most of the boys around here I grew up with and I saw as a brother figure. It made me realize yet again just how much Mrs. Campion saw me as a child; expressing how there must be a "boy" rather than a "man" in my village. She found every way possible to belittle me. I wondered if Sidney was feeling that same dismissal from her as I was. The last words I spoke to Sidney were for him to make her happy. But what about Sidney's happiness? Would she ever make him happy? Was Diana right? Was Sidney in a marital prison?

"Perhaps we could leave after the Ball," Alison suggested breaking me from my thoughts. "Charlotte what do you think?"

"That sounds fine to me."

Alison looked back at father and mother waiting hopelessly for their approval.

"I suppose your brother George could accompany you there," father added looking across the room to George.

"Yes father," he agreed with a sound of contempt in his voice. I imagined he didn't want to take us to Sanditon because it would take him away from Jane. He didn't speak much of his love life, but we all knew there was a special attachment to Miss Jane Sawyer who lived in our village. I imagined there would be an announcement of an engagement after the ball. Perhaps that's why mother didn't want us to leave until after the ball.

~0~

I let Alison wear my blue dress for the ball. I couldn't bear to put it on again after knowing what almost happened while on the balcony with Sidney. I helped her fix her hair and even let her wear my blue shoes. She was giddy with excitement at the upcoming event. She was sure she had the most beautiful dress in all of Wilingden and all eyes would be on her. I couldn't have been happier for her, but thought about how she would handle Sanditon Balls that were much grander.

I wore my white dress that I wore for the first ball I attended in Sanditon. The dress I wore the first time I danced with Sidney. Everything came back to him. I was not looking forward to attending the ball since all balls for me seemed to end in heartache anymore. I used to love balls and have so much excitement getting ready for them, much like Alison now. I reminded myself to be cordial and to dance with anyone who asked, but it wouldn't hold the same joy as they once did.