Chapter 30: New Engagements

~Sidney~

I was not expecting what happened at the end of the ball. Eliza had been so persistent about our engagement even after I told her I never wished to marry her. While Charlotte was dancing with one of the Moreland men, Eliza cornered me alone this time. I was beyond irritated with her as I was keeping a close eye on Charlotte. These Moreland men had not proven themselves trustworthy yet. Even though Charlotte insisted she could handle men like the earlier Morland man, I wasn't going to stand back and watch.

Eliza had a sadness about her when I begrudgingly let my focus from Charlotte falter. "Are you truly done with me?" she asked through a quivering voice.

I sighed. "Eliza, I don't wish to hurt you, but we are not good together. We should have known this wouldn't work after what happened when we were kids. We weren't right then and we aren't right now."

A tear fell from her eye. "I don't want to be alone," she cried. "That horrible Lady Worcester has turned all of society against me because of what my late husband and I did. I have no one."

"I can't be certain, Eliza, but I do believe Lady Worcester turned people against you to help Charlotte."

She looked at me with disbelief. "You can't be serious. Why on earth would she do such a thing just to help a farm girl?"

"Lady Worcester adores Charlotte, as do most people. She wants the best for Charlotte."

"And she believes you are what's best for her? You admitted to being a poor man with nothing to offer her. She clearly doesn't have anything to offer the marriage. Why would someone as influential as Lady Worcester want that for someone she supposedly cares for?" she wondered.

"Perhaps it's more about our affection for each other that intrigues Lady Worcester rather than our fortunes. Charlotte and I will be perfectly happy despite what our financial situations are," I explained. "We've made it this far; we can make it through anything."

"And what about Charlotte's family? Are they going to accept you being her husband when you have nothing to offer her?" she wondered.

"They are already have," I admitted causing her to look at me with bulging eyes. "Charlotte's family doesn't come from wealth. They value relationships and love above all else. I went and visited the Heywood family a few days ago and they've accepted me."

She dropped her head and another tear fell from her eye before she took a deep breath and looked at me determinedly. "There really is no changing your mind, is there?"

"I'm afraid not. I apologize for putting you through this. I hope you can forgive me. I wish things were different and we never had to find ourselves in this position in the first place. But I love Charlotte and that's not going change. You speak of not wanting to be alone, but if you were to marry me, you'd be even more alone. I wouldn't stay with you. I'd be here, loving Charlotte from afar if that's all I had. I have no wish to be your property who you parade around in society. That's not me."

"Very well," she said willing a smile across her face. "I'll release you from the engagement on one condition."

I was taken aback by her announcement. "You're releasing me?"

"I just need you to help me earn favor with Lady Worcester again."

I sighed, knowing it might not be as easy as what she asks. "I will do my best, but I can't make any promises. Perhaps it would be best for you to talk to her yourself and try to work out your differences."

She nodded her head and sighed. "I think you are making a huge mistake, Sidney," she said.

I stifled a laugh and grinned. "I thought the same thing about your choice ten years ago. But it was your choice to choose fortune. It's my choice to choose love. I do wish you every happiness. I hope you know I'll always care about your wellbeing. I hope you can find whatever it is that you need to make you happy."