Long Overdue

Emily held tight on Alison's hands as they kissed and she could feel the smile on Alison's lips as they did. Their fingers were intertwined, and their bodies as close as they possible could be while they had company.

"Emily, it's just for a few hours! Alison promised she won't monopolize you the whole day of your birthday."

Hanna's voice carried over to her ears, but she refused to listen as she let go of Alison's hands in favor of wrapping them around Alison's waist, and Alison giggled, wrapping her own around Emily's neck. Alison had to be the one to pull away. Emily sighed forlornly, a rare pout already forming. Alison grinned, pressing a quick kiss to Emily's lips again to get rid of the pout.

"Why can't you come with?" Emily kept her arms locked around her girlfriend.

Alison tilted her head a little and smiled sweetly up at her girl. "I have to take care of a few things before our date tonight."

Alison had called dibs on Emily's dinner date, seeing as it was Emily's first birthday ever since they got together. Pam was amenable as long as lunch was spent with family, and the other girls only asked that they get to spend time with Emily during the afternoon.

"I'll be following after a couple of hours, babe," Alison reassured, brushing a few more kisses over Emily's cheek.

"I thought Alison was the needy one." Both their heads turned towards Spencer who was smirking at both of them. Alison raised her eyebrow in challenge and Spencer only laughed. "Won't work. We all know you're a softie now because of Emily."

Alison made a face, poking Emily's side. "I'm not the head bitch anymore because of you."

Emily shrugged. "You don't regret it."

"I don't." Alison placed one last kiss on Emily's lips before disentangling herself from Emily who found it more difficult to separate from her girlfriend. This was supposed to be her day. She was supposed to spend it any way she wanted. And she really only wanted to spend it with Alison. Granted, it may have something to do with the 'previews' Alison had been giving her for the past two weeks on how their first time would go.

With one last sigh she let herself be pulled away by Aria.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You could always pretend to have fun."

Emily gave an apologetic smile towards Aria, who was holding up a dress for Emily to try on. "I'd assumed that I would be spending the whole day with her. Not necessarily just the two of us. I'm getting nervous over what she has planned for tonight. She tends to go overboard with surprises."

Aria smiled teasingly. "I still remember Valentines."

Emily smiled, even as she thought back to how Alison had managed to enlist everyone they both knew to be cryptic about the whole day, leading up to a grand date at the end of it by the seaside.

"I wish Ezra was half as romantic as she is," Aria admitted, thinking about how Alison had talked to her, Hanna and Spencer a week before in preparation. "Maybe we can switch for a day."

Emily laughed, shaking her head as she took the dress Aria was suggesting, now holding three dresses to try on. "Leave my girl out of this." Then she paused, cocking her head a little. "Is this your way of telling me that your exploring your sexuality?"

This time it was Aria who laughed. "I'm not quite that brave, I think."

Emily smiled at the sentiment. It had taken her a while to accept who and what she was, and she knew she had her friends who willingly accepted her to thank for how she'd been able to move past the social transition. The fact that Aria thought what she had to go through entailed courage warmed her heart.