Daily Worries

It was better now, but Emily could still hear the whispers in the hallway when she kissed Alison as they met up for lunch. She knew Alison would always look like she didn't care about them, even look defiant most of the time, but she knew Alison was finding hard to fend off the criticism everyday. Alison was almost ostracized, Mona successfully convincing all those that Ali had bullied before to stay away from her and encourage others to stay away.

Emily was caught in the crossfires, naturally, and Alison and she actually had a really big fight over Emily's status in school. Alison had insisted that it would be ok with her if Emily steered clear of her in school, just so she wouldn't have to deal with everything Alison had to deal with. Emily refused, quite vehemently, and it took a lot to convince Ali that Emily was always going to choose her now. Of course that had ended in a heated makeout session, which neither really minded.

Emily stood now, trying to ignore the weakly veiled glances towards them as she held Alison's hand. Occasionally she would feel Alison's eyes on her, gauging her reaction to everything. If things got too bad for her, she knew Alison would withdraw, so she didn't dare show her annoyance at everything. This was their last year in that school. They only had to deal with the students for a few more months, then they'd have to think about the rest of their lives.

They sat with the other three exchanging greetings and asking about morning classes. The atmosphere was a lot better between the three of them now. After Alison and Hanna talked, things between the two of them improved considerably. Emily was glad for it. Hanna had been the most vocal about being against their relationship. At least they didn't get the constant offhanded comments anymore.

Lunch was almost over, and Emily thought it was another lunch period that they were able to survive, when Mona approached, smirk already in place obviously out to make a mess of things.

"You've been quiet, Ali."

Alison looked up from her nearly empty plate, and smiled sweetly at Mona. The nickname grated at her. "Did you miss me that much that you had to seek me out?"

"Your reputation for being the Queen B is fading."

Alison's smiled flickered. There was a time that her reputation meant everything to her, back when she thought she needed no one. She'd been too dependent on Emily and the other girls the last few weeks that she'd not realy cared about how other people saw her. But people had always said that old habits die hard.

"Why are you keeping tabs on it? Aiming to replace me, loser Mona?" It was only Emily who noticed Alison's hand curling into a fist, because Alison's hand had been in hers on Emily's lap.

Mona's smile dropped at the insult, but then she sneered. "I already have."

Emily was already moving to wrap an arm around Alison in case her girlfriend suddenly falls for Mona's jibes. But it wasn't Alison who stood to confront Mona.

Hanna's face was annoyed when she blocked Mona's view of Alison. "What's your problem, Mona? We're just having lunch here."

"Letting your minions fight your battles for you now, Alison?" Mona's eyes were still on Alison who had to school her features not to look shocked at what Hanna suddenly decided to do.

"Hanna, stop."

Hanna didn't even look back at Alison. "You need to stop pulling shit like this, Mona, because we all have better things to do."

Mona's smirk only widened. "Better be careful, Hanna. I still know more about you four than you'd like me to."

Aria stood now, too and Spencer and Alison each grabbed an arm, not wanting her to worsen the situation. But Aria still spoke up. "Mona, you should go."