Too Soon for a Happy Ending

"Excuse me?"

The waiter who had been staring at Alison blinked several times before turning towards Emily. "Y-yes, ma'am? Have you decided on what to order?"

Alison had to catch Emily's hand in hers and give it a firm squeeze to keep Emily from getting angry at the girl. It was already months since Alison came back to Rosewood and people were still their usual gossipy selves, staring and pointing indiscreetly at the girl who had been dead for two years for all everyone knew. But Emily and Alison went out that night for some form of escape from everything. Emily was not going to tolerate anyone ruining it.

It was Alison who answered, ordering for the two of them, occasionally still glancing at Emily who looked like she wanted to strangle the waitress, while the waitress was having a hard time writing down their orders, still finding it hard to concentrate.

Alison watched the waitress walk away from them, and she turned her attention towards Emily. "Em?"

Emily features finally relaxed as she looked towards Alison. "We should have probably gone out of town or something."

"Maybe," Alison murmured, leaning forward to kiss Emily lightly, hoping it would get Emily to relax more. Which it did. Alison smiled at her fondly when they parted.

"What was that for?" Emily's eyes had unfocused a little, but she was smiling now, and that was really what Alison was going for.

"You were squeezing my hand too hard," Alison teased, and watched Emily's eyes widen then guilt started to take over. Before Emily could even start apologizing, she lifted the brunette's hand that had been squeezing hers and raised it to her lips. "It's ok." She smiled, and it was almost serene. "You can't keep getting bothered by them, though."

Emily looked at her in wonder. "When'd you get all cool-headed."

"Since I realized it would impress you."

Emily laughed, the rest of the tension leaving her body and it made Alison grin. Yes. They really needed tonight to be together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They walked towards the cinemas with Emily's arm slung over Alison's shoulders, and Alison's hand kept her arm there by interwining their fingers.

"You shouldn't have let me eat so much."

"You've been keeping a tight constraint on your diet. I wasn't going to stop you, Emily."

Emily's steps slowed, which made Alison slow down, too. "How did you know that? The other girls don't even know."

"I watch you a lot." Alison said it like it was the most natural thing in the world to watch Emily when she wasn't preoccupied with anything else. But then she realized what that might that have sounded like and she started to explain herself. "I mean not in the creepy sort of way. Sometimes I just like to... look... at you."

Emily found herself in that point again when she thought she couldn't fall in love anymore and Alison would prove her wrong. Emily just shook her head, smiling shyly, before leading them towards their destination again.

"Are you mad?"

Emily shook her head. "Of course not." She kissed Alison's temple. "I'm flattered. I thought I was the only one doing all the staring."

"I'm just more discreet about it."

Emily raised her eyebrows. "Are you saying I'm obvious."

"Yep."

Emily's mouth dropped open. Then she schooled her features to one of nonchalance. "Fine. Then I'll try to keep my eyes to myself."

She felt Alison's hand slacken so her arm slid from around her shoulders, and she was about to move away, when Alison's arms wrapped around her middle. "I don't mind you staring."