Calm Before the Storm

The doors of the theater open just as Spencer locks her car. Right on the dot. It was obvious that -A had been waiting for the four of us in particular. Somehow, we were the last ones there. Everyone who knew about -A was there. Ezra ran to wrap his arms around Aria, whose returning embrace was slow, unsure. Her eyes were glued to the doors. Emily knew it was because she thought she'd never have to come back to this place. Caleb was seated by the steps, looking hungover but somehow a little alert. He only looked at an approaching Hanna. Emily wasn't sure what was going on between them, but they had something to work on together. Everyone there had to work together.

Detective Tanner had other ideas. As she approached Emily and the others, she raised a hand, and it had Emily's back stiffening. "You are to stay outside. It's better if you don't mess anything up inside."

"Is this a crime scene?" Emily's voice was suddenly frantic and she had unconsciously advanced on the detective. Spencer had to hold out a hand to stop her progress.

"What's wrong?" Spencer's voice was controlled as usual, but her friends noticed the slight quiver. Only they would. Whether or not Tanner heard, she didn't know. She only looked at Spencer and her calculating eyes swept over the three others. Without another word she turned back. Emily started to advance again, not wanting to be left outside while the police did their business. They were acting as if Ali was already dead!

Without warning, a loud screeching noise echoed over the street. It was the sound of a microphone being turned on.

'They enter or she dies,' the voice drawled. The voice was magnified, and again, Emily heard that rough quality of an electronically altered voice.

Emily saw Tanner's jaw clench, and she motioned to four of the seven men she'd taken there. "Each of you watch over a girl."

Without another word she walked purposefully towards the open door of the theaters. Obviously whoever had contacted her wanted everyone who was outside to witness whatever show was prepared. Tanner felt the hair on the nape of her neck stand on end. "Use flashlights. Course through the walls." The order was directed at everyone. She obviously still didn't know what -A was capable of. The three remaining armed men approached her and she gave them quiet instructions too low for the others to hear. "This ends tonight."

Emily felt a hand grab hers, and looked sideward to see Spencer looking towards the darkness that greeted them. "Ali will be ok."

The brunette doubted it. Emily squeezed Spencer's hand before pulling away. "I know." She desperately wanted to believe it. She wanted to believe that Alison was going to be fine when they entered. She was even willing to believe that it was some huge prank by Alison, wanting attention to herself, wanting everyone to worry about her. But Emily knew this was different. It had been a long time since Ali had done something so people would pay attention to her. The past few weeks she had been back home, all Ali wanted to do was blend in with the rest of them. What happened to her changed her. And Emily couldn't find it in herself to be thankful that it was -A who gave Ali the push to find some humility in herself.

Toby took Emily's place holding Spencer's hand and the two of them followed the 3 armed men who entered the theater first. Emily was about to follow when she saw movement at the corner of her eyes. Her head snapped towards the direction of the movement, because she thought she saw Ali.

Cece approached her and for a moment the two of them connected. Someone they both loved very much was inside, and they were both there to try and save her. Emily gave Cece a nod, which the blonde returned, before they walked side by side, entering the dark place.