24 - The Parentals

The sound of footsteps crunching their way through gravel turned my muscles to ice.

“So kids, what do y’all think you’re doing out here so late at night?”

My mouth went dry and despite the nippiness of the air, my palms were beginning to sweat.

“Sorry sir, we were trying to hitch-hike a ride before it got dark out and didn’t know what to do. We were seeing a concert in town and our friend ditched us.” Jack replied with such smoothness that even I couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in admiration.

“You guys were seeing that weird rock band advertised all over town?” The officer eyed Jack skeptically.

“Yes sir,” Jack grinned and though I tried, I couldn’t detect a hint of sarcasm in his expression. Man he was good.

“Had any alcohol to drink while you were there?”

“No sir,”

“Mind if I check that? Not that I don’t trust you or anything. I mean, you guys seem like honest folks…”

“No worries – I understand completely.”

As the cop turned towards the police car, Jack reached out and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

“Thanks,” I mumbled under my breath.

“Just keep your fingers crossed,” He grumbled, not sounding all too convinced about our ability to pull this off.

With an air of authority not in par with his short stature, the cop breathalized each of us in turn, saving Jack for last. And he passed.

“Well it seems like you guys are good,” The cop bit his lip as if dissatisfied with the zeros on the machine. “Where are you guys trying to get to anyways?”

“Just Harrington, the next town over.”

“Well then,” the cop pulled up his belt in an over-exaggerated way. “If that’s the case, why don’t I give you a lift?”

My eyes widened instantly in mistrust as I searched the cop’s face for ulterior motives.

Jack and Todd however didn’t hesitate. Both were equally cheery as they thanked the cop profusely for the great convenience he was providing us.

“No problem, I was just about to do some patrolling over in that area.”

Sandwiched between Jack and Todd in the back seat of a cop car was definitely not the most pleasant experience of my life.

As Jack made pleasant small talk with the cop, he was rubbing small circles into my upper thigh. Ashamedly, I squirmed under his touch, fully aware that he was doing this in a cop car, while talking to a cop. So wrong on so many levels.

Then, I felt the tickling sensation of a different hand trailing up my other leg.

I glared at Todd, and he gasped, flinching as he removed his hand. “Gary apologize to Jenna this instant.”

I looked back and forth worriedly between Jack and the cop and Jack, getting my hint, stumbled through the mandated apology, “Sorry Princ-, umm, Jenna.”

Phew Crisis averted. But at least for once I could be glad Todd hadn’t said my real name. Maybe our faces weren’t actually on the wanted lists, but I figured at least our names and a basic description had to be…

“Hey kids what’s going on back there? Do I need to put you guys in time out? I’ve got handcuffs enough for all,” The guy chuckled to himself.