38 - Bonnie and Clyde Go Dancing

My jaw dropped. Literally.

I stared wide-eyed at Jack too busy gawking to even think about being embarrassed.

He was dressed in a suit; a classic black suit jacket and pants to match, accompanied by a crisp white dress shirt, skinny black tie, and black and white pinstriped fedora. His clothes gave him the air of a gangster from the twenties – classy and cool with an undeniably rebellious and dangerous twist. 

Just looking at him like this, so altered, but so handsome, made my stomach twist.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Kate yelled as she jumped into the space between Jack and I. “You two both look gorgeous- get over it. Come on, we have hardly any time to get all our pictures taken.”

I groaned, “Do we have to take pictures?”

“Don’t tell me you’re camera shy,” Jack mumbled with his head on top of mine as he wrapped his arms around me from behind. “You’re beautiful. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

“I’m not camera shy,” I defended, trying to ignore the fact that he’d just called me beautiful. “I just think it’s a waste of time. I mean, we’re taking pictures when we get in the dance right?”

“God, you’re such a guy sometimes.” Kate groaned as she held a small point and shoot camera up, blinding Jack and I with the flash.

“Opps, I’ll get rid of that flash,” She fiddled with the camera, then stopped. “Actually…this is cute…like really cute. Look.” She commanded as she shoved the camera in my face.

Jack was looking down at me, smiling as if he was telling a joke, the fedora casting shadows across his face that accentuated his jawline and high cheekbones. I was looking up at him, smiling. My lips looked thick with all the red lipstick Kate had piled on and my hair cascaded down in a set of wide, twenties-style curls. The black lace on my high-necked dress blended in perfectly with his outfit.

“Nice,” I commented, not sure what else to say.

“I’m glad you wore the necklace,” Jack said as he lifted up the small crystal charm, smiling softly.

“Why wouldn’t I?” I chuckled softly, trying my best to not stare at his lip ring despite the way it was teasing me, tempting me to come closer…

“Where’d you snag this suit from?” I asked him, playing with his lapels.

“Oh…” The side of Jack’s mouth twitched down for a moment as he paused. “It was the suit I wore to my brother’s funeral…”

“Oh,” I exclaimed, letting go of the suit’s silky material. “I’m so sorry. I had no idea.”

“No, it’s fine.” He murmured as he fingered the black snake design circling from the side of his neck to his back.

I turned my head and found Kate busily taking selfies of her and her date, Alex.

“You really think all this picture taking is necessary?” I raised an eyebrow and pointed to Kate, making Jack chuckle.

“Okay maybe not that kind of picture taking.”

“Come on Kate, are you almost done yet?”

Sighing Kate put down her camera. “Let me at least get a couple of couple shots first.”

“Fine,” I frowned as I let Kate model Jack and I so that were standing next to each other, my body slightly turned so that I could lay a hand on his chest.

“Perfect!” She cried as she took the picture, “Now Jack turn and put your arms around her…that’s it.”

“I never knew Kate was a photographer in the closet.” I muttered unappreciatively.