12 - Smack Dat

Shout out to GyroHippie for the amazing cover *round of applause* First cover I"ve ever gotten =D Love it! <3                                ------------------------------------------------------------->

My intestines painfully wrung  themselves out as Jack ignored me.

He didn’t annoy me. He didn’t harass me in anyway shape or form. He didn’t look at me, talk to me. Nothing. It perturbed me so much that I was gnawing on my lip in guilty frustration until I felt like the fragile skin was going to break open and bleed.

It’s not like I did anything to him. Well, not really - not with the way he'd turned my prank into his own personal statement.

I squirmed in my seat across from Todd in the cafeteria, sweating like a pig out of nervousness. Jack had sat with his other friends for the first time since he’d first joined us for breakfast.

“You okay?”

I jumped out of my thoughts, spilling some droplets of soup across my tray. “Yeah, of course,” I laughed weakly as I began wiping up the spill.

“You can be a sucky liar, you know that? So what happened between you and Jack?”

I felt my face go blank and I gulped. “I have no idea,” I sighed while looking down at the alphabet letters floating in my chicken noodle soup. How old did they think we all were, eight?

“Then jeez, take a chill pill. It’s not like you murdered someone.”

I rolled my eyes at the absurd thought, “I guess you’re right. I’ve always had a really bad guilt reflex though. I can’t stand the thought of hurting someone - even if it's just Jack.”

Todd raised an eyebrow, “Is this the same Ally I know? What happened to the spunky girl willing to kick Jack in the balls; the one who gets into trouble practically every other day?”

“Hey – most of the time I'm in trouble it’s not my fault, it’s Jack’s,” I squirmed uncomfortably under Todd's calculating gaze. God this was just Todd, I reminded myself. It didn’t mean anything. “And also I’ve never ‘beat up’ on people. I use self-defense and that’s it. Besides just because I enjoy a good adrenaline rush now and then doesn’t mean I’m sadistic,” I shot him a daring smile as memories of all my times with the gang flashed before my eyes.

I felt a tugging sensation at my chest, god I missed them. Especially Caden.

“Whatever,” Todd dismissed, “So did you know that cats sleep 16-18 hours per day?”

“Umm…” I tried to pretend that what he said made an inkling of sense.

“Aren’t you glad we aren’t cats? We’d never get anything done in life.” He continued.

“Yeah,” I sighed and played around with the letters in my soup, “I guess not.”

“So you know how cats have nine lives?” Todd ignored my gaze as he stared deeply into the depths of his own soup bowl.