13 - Deals

“Hello Mr. Berkeley,” I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat. It wasn’t Sunday and this wasn’t our usual mandatory appointment. And that knowledge had me sweating in quiet nervousness.

“Did Mr. Brighton tell you why you’re here?” He asked, coolly, the corners of his lips upturned.

I gulped, “No.” I’d just gotten a note saying to come here instead of going to my morning classes. No explanation given.

“Oh well then, surprise!” He cheered “I’m going to be your new teacher for this year.” I couldn’t hope to match his cheer.

“Teacher? You mean for like all of my classes?” I blanched…please not this guy. He unnerved me even more than Jack, making my skin crawl whenever he focused his sharp eyes on me.

“You wanted a more difficult, special curriculum, right? I can give that to you.” He smirked at me while comfortably seated in his large, plush armchair. I shifted in my own lumpy seat.

“I’m sorry, but are you even qualified to teach?” I quipped, crossing my arms across my chest.

“Yes, I got a teaching degree along with my psychology one. I’m the only one here at Black Mountain who has enough free time and qualification to run a class that’s more suitable to your educational needs. Take it or leave it.”

“Okay…Well, couldn’t I just do some sort of online class instead? That’s more what I had in mind,” I hedged while rubbing the back of my neck, uncomfortable under his harsh gaze.

“This is your option. Take it or leave it,” he repeated, his expression composed.

I sighed. It was either this or a year of mind-numbing review coupled with a room full of classmates who wanted to pummel me for setting the curves on all the tests. I bit my lip as I met Mr. Berkeley’s grayish blue eyes. Unlike normal blue eyes, they were uncommonly cold and scrutinizing.

“Okay, fine. I guess I’ll take my classes with you then.” I mumbled, trying to muster up a smile.

“Great!” Mr. Berkeley beamed, “You seem to have a lot of potential!” As he stood up to shake my hand I noticed how tall and limber he looked. Like he was just out of high school.

His hand was uncomfortably hot as I shook it and I grimaced at how tightly he gripped my hand in his. It was more like a warning than a handshake.

A warning for what though?

I clutched my hand back to my side and stood there awkwardly for a few minutes while neither of us spoke.

“So…uh…are we going to start class?”

“Yes, yes of course,” Mr. Berkeley said though he made no move to get out any sort of books or other learning supplies.

“So….What are we doing today?”

“Well I think I’d like to get to talk to you one-on-one to get to know you a little better.” He gestured towards the couch with his hand.