16 - Confused

“Now Bobo be a good boy and I’ll bring you back a carrot tonight, okay?”

I heard a gagging sound from somewhere behind me and whirled around to find Kate staring at me, eyes narrowed. “Are you insane?” She asked.

I sighed, “Todd said that I should be nice to Bobo since I survived after all.”

“Survived what? Your fever?” A lopsided smile formed at the edge of Kate’s lips.

I rolled my eyes, “It’s Todd.”

“Whatever you say…” She flipped over a page of her magazine, “I can’t wait to tell everyone about this one.”

“Love you too,” I called out as I left, slamming the door behind me.

“Hey wait-“

I turned to see Kate standing erect in the doorway.

“Yes?” I raised an eyebrow, ready for some snarky comment on her end.

“I’m glad that you’re feeling better- we were all pretty worried when you fainted. Fainting’s some pretty scary shit,” she laughed nervously before she put on her normal indifferent demeanor again. “Anyways, I’ll be coming to dinner in five so make sure you don’t take the last piece of cheesecake before I get there, fatso.”

“It’ll be a challenge,” I sighed, rolling my eyes. I could always count on Kate to turn something somewhat sweet into an insult. But in her own way I knew she meant well. She just couldn’t (or wouldn’t) show it.

For the first time I thought back to what could have possibly gotten Kate sent here. Everyone here had issues. What was hers? Did she have a dysfunctional family? No family at all?

I frowned, wondering if I was cutting her short. Hell, I didn’t know a thing about her…the exact same way she didn’t know a thing about me…and judged me for it.

Now that I think about it, I didn’t know anything at all about anyone here. I knew nothing about why these people were here. Even with Jack, yeah I knew how he got here, what his crime was, yet I had no idea how he ever got that way…

Perspective. It’s trippy to think about. And for some reason it made my stomach churn with guilt. Were the prejudices directed at me going both ways?

I gnawed on my lower lip as I went into the already half-packed cafeteria.

I remained distracted as I slopped food onto my plate, glad that I didn’t have kitchen duty for today. Though I still had it frequently, I was coming in less often than before. This meant less time with Mrs. Murphey- something I could definitely appreciate.

As I flicked my eyes across the room, looking for Todd and Jack I didn’t have enough sense to pay attention to what was right in front of me. Bad idea. Seconds after I caught sight of Jack I tripped over something on the floor, spilling the contents of my tray as I haphazardly caught myself on the edge of a table before I had a chance to do a face plant.