53- Let's Be Free

My backpack had to weigh at least twenty pounds – no thirty.

I’d been back at Paradise high for only a couple of weeks and already I was experiencing my familiar old back pains of an over achiever.

Sighing, I dropped my backpack to the ground and check my watch for the time.

Shit, it was already 4:00. I knew I shouldn’t have asked my math teacher to go over those challenge problems with me after school – not today of all days.

Knowing I was already late, I rushed to the mirror, checking my appearance.

I was wearing a soft, light blue cotton dress that accentuated my curves, with a black cardigan over it.

Hastily, I removed my hair tie, letting my long wavy hair fall around my shoulders.

Better, I thought.

Luckily this morning, I’d thought to put on some light makeup.

4:04

It’d have to do.

I quickly shoved my feet out of my black flats and into some short black heels before grabbing my small handbag and running out the door.

Just as I reached the shiny brass door knob that was my key to freedom, a strict voice stopped me in my tracks.

“Where are you going?”

Slowly, I turned on my heel to meet my mother’s steely gaze.

“All my homework’s done. I don’t have any tests tomorrow. I’ll be back by eleven.”

And with that I didn’t hesitate or wait for a reply.

I turned the knob and quickly ran out the door, down the steps and out the gate, straight into a beat up silver Toyota corolla that was waiting patiently for me.

“Sorry I’m late,” I leaned over the passenger seat to quickly kiss Jack on the lips. However, even with that small peck, I lingered, wanting more.

Gosh, it only had been a couple of weeks, yet it felt like it’d been forever.

I sat back down into my seat and buckled my seatbelt quickly before I looked at Jack again.

“So where are we going?” I asked taking in his slacks and dress shirt.

“Out,” He said, giving me nothing to go on.

“Wow, oh so informative.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes as I leaned back into my seat.

“Don’t worry, you’ll love it.”

And after an hour or so in the car talking and laughing with Jack I didn’t care where the hell we were going. As long as I was here, able to see and talk and be with him in the flesh, nothing else really mattered.

“Okay, we’re almost here.” He grinned as he took the 509 freeway exit to downtown San Barbos. It was now almost dark and dusky. Even though it was getting closer to Summer every day it still got dark fairly early, making me wonder exactly what Jack had in mind for us this evening.

The streetlights turned on as we navigated the congested downtown streets and after twenty minutes of stop and go traffic, Jack finally pulled off into a parking garage.

“My lady,” Jack bowed over, extending his hand out to me as I was about to get out of the car.

“Wow, it seems like you may have turned into a romantic after all,” I teased as I grabbed his hand.

“You wish,” He whispered into my skin as he ran his lips around my neck, and ran his hands around the small of my back.

I laughed and turned my head to kiss him.