Chapter 23

It was the early morning and Ruba was already out of bed and beginning the day. When she woke up, she went for a nice long jog around her neighbourhood as the sun was rising. She then had a shower and ate her favourite breakfast – Waffles with chocolate spread and a chopped banana with a glass of milk.

Ruba just finished washing her plate when her phone started buzzing in her pocket. She leaned over the counter and switched off the water and dried her hands. She placed her hand in her front pocket and took out her mobile. She read who the message was from and was quite surprised.

Joseph?

Ruba opened the text message and read it.

…Ruba… you’re not really quitting magic are you? After everything we’ve been through?

Ruba gave a what-the-hell look at the text. Her eyes started to wonder off around the kitchen and her mind was processing thoughts. Ruba was confused. How did they know? Ruba’s eyes widened and she quickly blocked all of them from reading her mind.

Ruba gave a frustrated yell. This was their plan. They’re making her use magic. They want her to retaliate by using magic.

Ruba typed furiously, sending a message back to Joseph.

No-body said I’m quitting magic. Oh, and if I was, ‘after everything we’ve been through?’ that’s the reason why I would quit!

Ruba placed her phone in her pocket and walked to her bedroom. Thoughts were processing through her mind. She was scared… that was the honest truth. She, Ruba, was scared of her friends. If anything, they should be scared of her.

She walked over to her desk and switched on her laptop and logged onto her Hotmail account. As she was waiting to be logged onto her account, she quickly scanned her desk and thought that she really needs to give it a clean and tidy it.

Ruba looked at her inboxes, and to her dismay she had fifty-six unread emails. She actually looked quite confused at the amount of emails, but something inside of her was telling her to be happy. She was always an outcast, never accepted. Probably because of the way she was the hobbies she used to be into.

She looked at her emails and they were sent from anonymous; all regarding her.

She read the first email.

RUBA, YOU CAN’T STOP USING YOUR POWER! YOU CAN’T LEAVE THE GROUP! 

She deleted it and moved onto the next one.

The same email.

She looked through half of the emails and they all read the same as the first one she opened.

She got to the second half of the emails and opened one.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY USED TO DO TO WITCHES WHO LEFT THE COVEN? 

THEY USED TO KILL!! 

Message after message read the same thing.  The last four words kept on replaying in her head.

They used to kill!! 

They used to kill!! 

They used to kill!!

As Ruba kept on reading through the emails, new emails were arriving, reading the same. She deleted all her emails until there was nothing left. A few minutes past and no emails were coming through. She sighed a sigh of relief.

Just as when Ruba was about to log off of her account, her inbox read one new message. She hesitated to click on it, scared of what might be in the email. Ruba went ahead and opened it, this time the email was completely different.

Meet us in the forest NOW, or have you forgotten where it is, bitch?

The email startled Ruba, unsure of what to do, she zapped herself downstairs and she was on her way to the forest.

* * *

“Look, what do you want?” Ruba spoke. Ruba was scared, her hands were shaking and her heart was racing, pounding so hard that she felt as if it could burst out of her chest.

The four of them – Willow, Amy, Michael and Joseph turned around and faced Ruba.

Amy stepped forward and gave an evil laugh to Ruba. “You… you little bitch! You’re really going to stop using magic and leave our coven?”

Ruba spoke brutally. “Yes.”

“You know, I don’t know if you read this email, but when a witch leaves her coven, she dies…” Amy spoke.

“Doesn’t mean I’m dying… bitch.”

The word ‘bitch’ bothered Amy that her anger built inside of her and she let out a desperate scream. She started pacing towards Ruba whilst chanting a spell.

''You hurt me, I hurt you. As you see as I see; an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life, so may it be!”  

Ruba was thrown backwards in an instant as Amy’s eyes set on fire and within seconds something rushed from her head to her nose. The blood that escaped her nostrils made her dizzy. She looked around her and saw nothing but green trees covering her as shelter. The sun was blazing onto her skin.

Ruba walked towards Amy and started chanting.

"With this candle I hex you; a plague on your house, a plague on your heart, a plague on every inch of your skin.”

Amy tried to chant a spell back, but Ruba put a mental spell on her, so that she wouldn’t be able to cause harm to her or others.

As for the rest of them – Willow, Michael and Joseph, she chanted a future spell, so that they could see what will happen to them if they carry the way they’re going.

"Get this message now,

as slowly as I bow.

Change the time, 

and on other place.

In the future I'll be found!"

Ruba started walking away from what used to be her friends. As she was leaving, she looked back and apologised with pain in her eyes. “I’m sorry…”

Ruba ran out of the forest, trying to go anywhere but where she just was. Deep down inside of her, she thought it was the right thing to do – hex Amy and chant a future spell for the others so they could see what would become of them if they continued the way they did.