Chapter 10

“Summer’s here!” Amy shrieked down the phone to Ruba.

“Yeah. Six weeks of nothing…” Ruba rolled her eyes and laid her head on her pillow in her bedroom.

“What do you want to do?” Amy questioned.

“I’m not too sure. Is there even anything we can do?”

“Of course there is! We can go to the movies, we can go ice-skating, you can come round to mine, and we can go to Starbucks…” Amy trailed off completely unaware that Ruba wasn’t bothered. Ruba closed her eyes and replied when she heard something interesting.

“Uh-huh. Sure we can go there…”

“I was joking Ruba. There’s no-way we can go to the future!”

“Ah, young mind… that’s what you think!” Ruba replied with a smirk on her face. She really wanted to go to the future… and not just by doing a spell. She started to feel tired, weak… this was an unusual weakness for her. She slowly slurred her words.

“By-bye A-Amy. S-see you soon.” Ruba hung up and drop her phone to the ground and fell asleep straight away. What was wrong with her? Did she have something wrong with her – or was she just too tired?

* * *

The sun flickered through Ruba’s curtains and her eyes were slowly opening. Ruba exhaled a deep breath and once again; she was too tired to open her eyes. They wouldn’t open. Not that she couldn’t, they physically wouldn’t open. She didn’t have energy to open them. She tried lifting her hands, but couldn’t. Her whole body fell weak – unable to do anything.

Ruba lay in her bed and called out to her mum, once, but very faintly. The last letter of ‘mum’ was barley hearable. Kaitlin answered and then assumed Ruba was only calling her for reassurance of her mum’s voice being at home.

Ruba fell into a sleep again. Completely unaware that she fell asleep for a second time.

At 9:00A.M Ruba awoke and managed to get up and out of her bed.

“Ahh…” Ruba felt irritated by the headache she was experiencing. Ruba managed to do her usual routine – wash her face, get dressed, eat breakfast.  Just, when she wakes up, she experiences pain. Her muscles, joints and limbs feel as if they are deteriorating. Everything leaving her body and all she is left with is a body. An unstable body; and of course the banging headaches that she wakes up with.

* * *

“Good night mum!” Ruba yelled from the top of the stairs. She headed for her bed and pulled the covers down to get in. Ruba slowly pulled the covers up and laid on her back and closed her eyes. Off to a peaceful sleep?

* * *

“Ugh…” Ruba growled and rubbed her temples on the side of her head. Ruba sat in her bed rubbing her temples for a good few minutes.

“Mum! Can you bring me some paracetamol and some water please?”

“Sure honey!”  Kaitlin hurried upstairs into Ruba’s room, holding a paracetamol in her left hand and a glass of water in her right.

“What’s wrong sweetie?”

“Headache…” Ruba rubbed her temples again and sat up. Kaitlin handed the tablet and the water to Ruba were she quickly gulped it down and got out of bed unsteadily.

“Whoa, Ruba. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yah mum. I’m fine. Just a headache.”

“Hmm… okay. We’ll see how you are by the afternoon!” Kaitlin wrapped a hand around Ruba for security and for the day Kaitlin was helping Ruba – with putting her clothes on, standing up and sitting down.

* * *

It was now 5:00P.M and Kaitlin had to quickly make a stop to the pharmacy to get some more tablets for Ruba.

This was Ruba’s chance to stop the dreams and pain she was facing. Every day she was getting weaker. Not just physically, but mentally.

Ruba headed to her bedroom and walked over to the back of her room and lifted up a wooden floor board and picked up a white candle, a lighter, white ribbon and a sliver bracelet. Ruba held them in her right hand and placed the floorboard back and headed over to the centre of her room.

Ruba sat down and crossed her legs. She placed the candle in front of her and then wrapped the white ribbon around the candle. She reached over for the silver bracelet that was lying next to the candle and slowly slid it on her left wrist. Ruba looked down at her wrist and recited the words on the bracelet.

‘To Ruba. Love you. Mum and dad.’ A present from her parents when she was nine.

Ruba sat there, daydreaming how happy she was when she got the bracelet. She got back from church and her mum opened a little grey box….

Ruba shook her head and a small smile approached her face. Picking up the lighter, Ruba lit the candle and walked over to her window with the candle in both of her hands. She placed the candle down onto the window seal and stood opposite it, watching it burn slowly. Feeling the heat from the candle, Ruba closed her eyes and relaxed, imagining when her dad was still around and when they went to the park together and played in the grass… Ruba imagined a happy memory and missed the thought of her father being around.

Ruba opened her eyes and placed them on the moon. She started chanting.

“The moon is my friend

Who’s listening to me

Bringing the beauty

Into my dreams…”

“Ahh...” Ruba flinched from the pain she was feeling within her.

“The stars are here forever to

Shine bringing serenity and

Place of mind…” Ruba carried on chanting, but felt deep stabbing pains throughout her whole body.

“Ahh…” Ruba held her arms out in front of her, evident that the pain within was surfacing. There were red, blooded cuts all over her arms. Ruba carried on chanting. She had to! Ruba was determined for those bad dreams of hers to go away.

“When I close my eyes

They won’t be gone…”

From that, Ruba couldn’t finish the spell. She fell forward on her knees and began to cough. Ruba placed her hands to her neck as if something had possessed her and was trying to strangle her.

Struggling the few words left, Ruba’s knees failed her and she slammed to the floor, arms resting on either side of her and her eyes slowly shutting; seeing the last things in sight: the moon and the candle.