Chapter 24

The sun was rising, bringing all objects visible from the dark.

A hint of light broke through Ruba’s curtains and her eyes started to flicker. She slowly opened her eyes, rubbing them from the hint of light that was blinding her because she had just woken up. She rested her arms on either side of her body, making her bed sheet convey her body figure. Ruba closed her eyes for a minute, feeling refreshed, feeling happy, feeling satisfied.

Bleep, bleep… Ruba’s laptop sang in annoyance, email after email.

Ruba’s eyes shot to her laptop on her desk, almost as if she were about to destroy her laptop. She narrowed her eyes and gave a glare. She stared at it until her eyes needed to blink. She flung herself out of her bed, unaware that she also flung her bed cover on the floor, hitting her bedside table leaving everything lying on the floor – her phone, perfume bottles, tissues...

Ruba walked over to her desk and took a seat right in front of it. She looked at her laptop plainly, as if to say what now? Her emotions were plain, no emotion was escaping her face – happiness, annoyance, and scared… she opened her newly arrived email and read it.

Do you like death? Are you asking for death? Because, you know… if you are, we’re willing to give it to you…

Another email beeped and popped up on to her screen.

You left our coven! Sisters don’t do that!

A bleep again, another message.

You… you bitch! Mark my words Ruba, you will die!

Another bleep and another message.

Mark my words, you will die!

Another bleep and another email.

You will die!

Message after message reading the same thing.

YOU.WILL.DIE…

SOONER… OR LATER…

Ruba couldn’t care less. She locked her laptop and stood up to start her daily routine – brush her teeth, wash her face, get dressed and eat breakfast.

Ruba walked down her stairs and entered her kitchen, opening the cereal cupboard and pulling down her favourite cereal – Clusters.

“Oh, eh, morning mum!” Ruba grabbed the milk out of the refrigerator.

“Morning Ruba!” Kaitlin replied.

Ruba poured her cereal and milk into her bowl and grabbed a spoon and started eating at the table with her mum.

“You okay?” Kaitlin took a sip of her coffee and looked at Ruba.

“Yeah…” Ruba grabbed a spoon full of cereal and placed it in her mouth. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Oh, because… you-“

Kaitlin was cut off as Ruba’s munching was over powering Kaitlin’s voice.

“You…-“

Ruba carried on munching… looking around the room.

“…Ruba you seem…” Kaitlin started again, tracing her finger over her mug.

Ruba walked over to the sink and turned it on and started cleaning her bowl and spoon.

Kaitlin stood up and projected her voice. “Ruba Kapner, you seem…-“

Ruba turned away from her mother and walked out of the kitchen. “I’ll get the door mum!”

Kaitlin sat back down in her chair and signed.

* * *

“Hey! You ready?” Maria smiled.

“Hey! Yeah! Let me just get my coat and my mum.” Ruba smiled back.

Ruba walked into the kitchen and announced to Kaitlin that Maria was at the door. With that, Kaitlin put her jacket on and headed to her car.

“Morning Maria!” Kaitlin walked out the door and to her car starting the engine.

“Morning Kaitlin…” Maria just about managed to reply back.

“Ruba… what’s wrong with your mum?” Maria curiously asked.

“Oh, I don’t know… time of the month?” Knowing what was wrong; Ruba shrugged her shoulder and lead herself and Maria to the car.

* * *

Kaitlin, Ruba and Maria walked into church and took there seats right at the front.

The priest motioned his hands for everybody to stand up. “Let’s begin with our daily prayer.”