Chapter 3

The air smelt fresh; full of blossoming flowers, freshly cut grass. The sun was shining bright and most of the school students were outside rolling their sleeves up due to the intense heat, trying to catch a nice golden glow to their skin. Giggling came from the background, load shrieks every time someone scored a goal on the football pitch. Everything seemed so surreal and tranquil. The kids loved the summer.

Ruba and Amy were sitting outside on one of the benches, watching the shenanigans going on around them. Amy tilted her head back and rested her arms on the bench, closing her eyes.

“Perfect day for a tan.”

"Suppose." Ruba said whilst peeking through her left eye towards Amy with a grin on her face. Amy lifted herself up and stared at her friend, as if she could sense something wasn't right with her.

"Rub-" she started until she saw the rest of the gang walking towards them.  "Oh hey…did you guys get your lunch?" 

"Nah, we decided to give it to some homeless dude down the road...” Michael laughed at the look on their faces, “Of course we did. Hence the reason why we’re holding sandwiches."

They all started for the field, in which they found a place and sat down in a circle, chattering on the latest gossip. Whilst Ruba was preoccupied using her HTC Wildfire mobile phone, Michael looked to his left and sent a glare towards Joseph. The glare continued round the circle until it reached to Willow, who was the one sitting next to Ruba. Amy, Joseph and Michael nodded at her and mouthed. 

"Go on. Ask her!" 

"No, no, no!"  Willow replied rapidly.

Ruba suddenly turned to Willow and gave her the look. As the what-are-you-doing look. Willow quickly lifted her right hand and pretended to wipe her mouth.

"So Ruba...you seem...um...happy today…" 

"Really? What makes you think that?" 

Willow snorted, "As if we don’t know…" only to be met with a paper ball to the back of the head, thrown by Joseph, "I-I mean, I don't know..." 

"Guys, what's up?” Ruba looked annoyed, “Seriously. Don't make me do a truth spell!"

"Nothing..." Joseph insisted while looking down towards the green grass. 

"You're lying!" Ruba insisted whilst narrowing her eyes and giving a glare to her friends. 

Amy protested, "C'mon Ruba. You said no more truth spells on us!" 

"Well... obviously I have to, since you guys always lie to me!" 

"We’re not lying.” Said Joseph, “We just find it hard to ask you what we want to ask you!"

 "We know you did something, so tell us!" Michael suddenly blurted out before slapping his hand over his mouth in shock. The others shook their heads at him.

Amy finally plucked up the courage to speak, "Ruba…did you…possibly...conceivably..?" 

"...Yeah..?" Ruba urged her to get on with it.

"...Perform a hex spell on Naomi?"

Amy pulled back, hoping Ruba wouldn't hurt her. All was quiet for a split second as everyone held their breath. Nobody spoke, no-body moved. All that could be heard were the talkative students in the background. Then without notice, Ruba calmly articulated...

"Yes. Yes, I did."

The cool, flushed out tone unsettled the others. Unfazed, Ruba smiled and slowly took a bite from her peanut butter sandwich, ignoring the stares. 

Hope you enjoyed it and will be reading on ... Please

comment and if you enjoyed it vote. Thanks for the support! - Eleni.