Chapter 9

Friday finally arrived. The week came to an end and the summer holidays were set to begin. Ruba and her friends were in science. They sat in pairs at each lab table in the far corner to the left at the back of the classroom. Their science teacher tried to plan something fun – but sadly, nothing can turn out fun when you’re trying to have fun in science.

Everybody was just messing around; each in their group of friends. At the front of the classroom, you had Naomi’s group of friends chattering and gossiping. You also had the nerds at the front of the classroom, which occasionally would look over their shoulders towards Naomi’s group to see if they managed to catch her attention. Sadly, Naomi would just give a what-are-you-looking-at-freak look and turn around and giggle. Naomi’s signature move. To the back, you would find the average students; neither weird, nerdy nor popular. Then to the left corner of the room, you would find Ruba’s group. Talking virtually about anything: spells, people, Naomi….

“Don’t you just hate this?” Willow looked around the classroom.

“Hate what?” Joseph asked.

“This…” Willow gestured her hands towards everyone. “Everyone being in groups… it’s not nice.”

“School wouldn’t be interesting if there weren’t any groups.” Michael smirked.

* * *

10:35 A.M. – Break time stroke on the clock; students rushing out of classrooms, eager to do anything to make their last day before the summer holidays count.

“I’m going to the toilet.” Amy spoke giving a do-you-want-to-come-with look at Willow and Ruba.

“I’m coming.” Ruba and Willow spoke at the same time. They giggled and headed to the toilets.

* * *

Amy was looking at herself in the mirror, fixing her hair and applying lip balm to her lips. Ruba and Willow were washing their hands, talking and coming up with solutions about Ruba’s house.

“We could do the spell again. I mean, if we perform it a second time, it will be stronger and guaranteed to work… hopefully.”

“I guess… so you’re coming after school, right?” Ruba raised her head and looked at Willow. “I mean if you want to…”

“Of course!” Willow looked at Ruba and continued. “We all are…” Willow smiled and as she raised her lips, the lights went out in an instant. Glass shattered to the ground.

In an instant, all the girls – Ruba, Willow and Amy raised their hands to their heads and as if told to, they turned their gaze to the mirror, where they saw a woman – zombie like, slowly approaching them. The closer she got, the more they saw her appearance. The woman’s face was scratched all over, marks and scars all around her face as if she’d been slashed repeatedly. Her hair looked as if she was electrocuted and her eyes were white. No pupils. Just white. Ruba, Willow and Amy stood there, beyond fear. They were somewhere else, trapped so they couldn’t move. They didn’t know what to do. This had to be a trick. But then how could it be?

All of a sudden the lights switched back on, as if they never broke and the woman disappeared. There were no pieces of glass scattered on the floor. Was it their imagination? No. Did the mystical force from Ruba’s house seek her to school? Possibly.

The girls exited the toilets, not speaking, just keeping it to themselves. They walked in silence to Joseph and Michael, were they both grinned and Michael spoke teasingly.

“Aw! What’s wrong? Cat got your tongue?”

Amy slapped Michael’s chest.

* * *

“Mum, are you home?” Ruba yelled, whilst setting her house keys on the counter in the entrance of her house. Michael, Willow, Joseph and Amy followed Ruba.

“Nobody home?” Willow asked.

“No. Mum’s probably too busy at work. Come on let’s go to my room.” Ruba started to the stairs and walked up and opened her bedroom door. Ruba walked in and started closing her curtains while speaking to the others while they were placing their school bags on Ruba’s bed.

“So, I was thinking… about the spell.” Ruba reached for the curtain to the right of the window and closed it. “We could use a different spell. A banishing spell…” Ruba closed the left curtain and spun around and shot them a smile.

“Okay. Do you have one?” Amy asked curiously.

“Of course I have one.” Ruba spoke in a ‘duh’ tone. Ruba reached into her pocket and grabbed a scrunched up paper. She slowly unfolded it and gave it to her friends to look at, so that they know what to say and do.

“So… ready?” Ruba asked in excitement.

“What’s all the excitement all about?” Joseph grinned. Ruba walked over to her bed, where they were all sitting and plopped herself in-between Joseph and Amy and said. “I’ve never done a banishing spell.” Ruba smiled widely.

“Are you sure this is a good idea then?” Amy asked.

“Of course…” Ruba replied confidently.

“Okay then. Let’s start.” Michael protested.

“Okay. Everybody get up and sit on the floor in a circle. Once seated, we all have to hold hands, okay?”

“Yup!” They all agreed in unison.

They all placed themselves in the middle of Ruba’s room in a circle. They crossed their legs and held hands with the person next to them.

“Okay… ready? When I say ‘start’, we start chanting the words form the paper.”

The rest nodded and closed their eyes.

“Start.” Ruba assigned.

“BANISH THEE FROM ME! CLEAR ME, MAKE ME SAFE, REVEAL THEE, NEVER AGAIN!”

They all opened their eyes in shock by a scream and Naomi revealing herself. They all chanted in unison.

“CLEAR ME, BANISH THEE.”

Naomi screamed; she slowly started to fade away.

“CLEAR ME, BANISH THEE….”

Naomi was clearing from them. Her screams at a distance.

“CLEAR ME, BANSIH THEE….

They all chanted one last time. Naomi disappeared and a gush of wind hit them, leaving them relieved that they got rid of the spirit.

They all looked at each other, smiling in victory. They did it! They got rid of the bad spirit and they felt valiant. They felt as if they could do anything now.