Chapter 20

Ruba’s hands were shaking. Not a mild tremble; violent quirks of the hand that made her blood cold. Her heart continued to run a marathon. It was as if she’d never done magic before, it was almost laughable. And it certainly wasn’t the first time she’d seen a dark figure in her room. It was the fact that she hadn’t cast a spell in quite some time and seeing something and doing something that she’s not quite used to getting her head around, scared her big time.

Ruba reached into her back pocket of her jeans; trembling as she dialled Maria’s number. “He-hello Maria…?”

“Hey Ruba! What’s wrong? You sound like you’re crying?” Maria had sensed it in her voice.

“Um… yeah. Look, can I talk to you?”

“Yeah, sure you can!”

“No, I mean talk to you. Like talk to you about what I do…?”

There was silence for a minute over the phone. Ruba was clenching her jaw, scared of the reply Maria would give.

“Sure, go ahead.” Maria responded.

“Okay… so we went to church and came back, I told you how I liked it and how I felt safe. That was all true!”

“Yeah… Ruba-”

“Well I went to my room… to do a spell…”

“Ruba… why would you do that?”

“I don’t know… I haven’t done a spell in ages and I thought I’d give it a go and when I did.” Ruba paused and started again. “I saw a black shadowy figure in my room… just staring at me, and when I switched the lights on, It was gone!”

“Well… Ruba… I don’t know. I don’t know about these things, but I can tell you what I think…”

Ruba started walking around her room. “Go on…”

“I think maybe it’s a sign.”

“A sign?” Ruba commented.

“Yeah. A sign saying that maybe you should stop the magic that you do…”

Ruba paused in front of her mirror and looked at herself. “I don’t know Maria. Stop magic forever?”