Chapter 28: To the Future We're Heading

~ To the Future We’re Heading ~

3 January 1951 ~ Ruby

Fog clouds my mind as I am slowly being pulled out of my dream state. I do notice the morning light shining inside, but I’m not ready to open my eyes. The next thing I’m aware of is the warmth. It surrounds me, cloaking me inside and making me feel save. Unconsciously, I snuggle closer even though the heat is somewhat uncomfortable, I’m in need of the safe feeling. Something, or rather someone, pulls me closer and my cold nose connects with warm skin, which is really appreciated.

Then my mind clears and I reluctantly open my eyes to see the unfamiliar room. Then I remember. The road trip. The motel. Enzo. Free.

A smile plays around my lips remembering yesterday; Enzo’s lips on mine, the way he looked at me and of course everything after that. My heart skips a beat when I realize I can always stay with him.

Enzo is still fast asleep judging by his deep lazy breaths and he has one arm around my waist, keeping me in place against his chest. Somehow, our legs got entwined over night, but I find it rather comfortable.

I look up to his face and almost laugh. His normal smug face almost looks innocent and his lips are slightly parted. It is like his hard features have softened over night.

For some reason, I suddenly crave a good cup of coffee, since I didn’t have it in months. Normally, before everything, I drank about four cups a day. But I don’t want to wake Enzo up, so I take my time and begin with untangling our legs which take about five minutes. I watch his peaceful face the entire time, not able to suppress that stupid smile of mine and slowly scoot out from under his arm. He twists in his sleep, even reaching out a bit as if he notices my body heat is gone, but doesn’t wake up.

I shudder from the cold as soon as I’m not under the covers anymore. It must be freezing outside and I’m totally naked. I walk over to the place where I left my shirt yesterday, but I change my mind when I see Enzo’s gray shirt lying next to it. Maybe it is stupid, but I’ve always wanted to wear a man’s shirt after spending a night together. For some reason, I never did when I was with Eric. Quietly, I slip it over my head and open my bag pack in the corner to retrieve some underwear. Not the sexiest, but I didn’t expect much from Mathew. 

I tiptoe to the kitchen and get a kettle from the cupboard. Soon, the water is on the heat and I will have my coffee. Leaning against the counter to wait until it’s boiled, I touch the side of my neck. I blush when I remember Enzo’s lips against it and then his teeth. Even though we’ve done it many times, sharing blood never gets old.

Suddenly, a gust of wind surprises me, giving me goose bumps since as it brushes my skin. Then two strong arms wrap around me from behind and I smile as Enzo pulls me close to keep me warm.

‘Hello, gorgeous.’ He breathes into my ear and a warm feeling fills my chest. This is what I wanted. Falling asleep next to the love of my life and wake up to find him just there.

‘Good morning.’ I answer and I reach up to touch his face.

‘Did I tell you how sexy you look when you wear my cloths?’ Enzo kisses the exact spot I’ve just been thinking about. The bastard had been listening in on my thoughts… But the kiss in my neck makes me forget to be angry instantly. His bare chest is surprisingly warm and welcoming actually.

‘No, you didn’t tell me, since this is the first time you’ve seen me wearing your cloths.’ I play along. ‘But I’m all ears.’

Swiftly, he grabs my waist and turns me around so he can look me in the eye. The innocent look of this morning is all gone and replaced by is usual playful and smug face. I think I like it better this way.