Chapter 1: The Awaking

~ The Awaking ~

12 April 1950 ~ Ruby

Slowly my body is coming back to me. I can see through my eyelids it is dark outside. Or inside, I have no clue which one. I have stopped falling and I’m regaining my senses along with my ability to move. It is terrifying to have you’re body so far away from you, not being able to move, not knowing what is going on and I’m glad it is over.

Though I’m dreading the moment I’ll have to open my eyes. Then I have to face reality of what ever is going on.

I feel slightly head ached and I wonder how that is possible. I’m never sick, hadn’t had a headache in ages. Something really bad must have happened.

My fingers grasp at the ground but I feel nothing unusual under my touch. But I notice the floor is cold and dirty and the cold is everywhere in my body. When the shaking begins, I realize it is time for me to open my eyes, but I’m having a hard time finding them. My body feels tired and all weird. I’ve never experienced something like this before.

My eyelashes flash, but that is all I can do for a moment, but after I concentrate for a minute it finally works.

When my eyes adjust to the dark, I can see no sun light. Apparently there are no windows or it is too dark to see. Then I see something vertical, it starts at the ceiling and ends at the ground, not that far from my feet. There are many of them, all of them just as far apart. I stare at it trying to make sense of it all when it hits me.

Bars.

I’m behind bars.

Oh my god...

My heartbeat rises and fear clenches my stomach. Somehow I know I’m not in a prison. This is something much darker. Much more dangerous. I know I’m in trouble, I just wish I could remember how I got in trouble.

I try to get up, but I just manage to get up in to a sitting position and I crawl towards the bars, griping onto them with my long fingers. I push and pull, but there is no use, I’m not closely as strong as usual.

Oh no...

Vervain.

It must be. Then I remember what happened.

Yesterday –if it really was yesterday I have no idea- it was 11 April. Exactly ten years after Eric’s death. I remember promising myself I wouldn’t remember the night as I entered the first bar I came by. I remember having a few drinks, at first so the pain would go away and later because I liked the way I didn’t feel anything. I remember flirting with the bartender –which was not like me- and then I went home. Or at least I tried. I never made it there.

I was hardly two blocks away from my home when a man bumped into me and I wanted to apologize secretly hoping he didn’t notice I was drunk, but he beat me to it.

‘I’m sorry, miss, are you alright?’ the man asked and I could see under the streetlamp he was pretty young. Probably twenty-five not much older. He had blond hair and I think blue eyes though it was hard to see under the dull light, but I did notice some sort of excitement in them as if the man had been looking for me for ages and has finally found me. Like he recognized me. Which is weird because everyone I know is long gone. I had the feeling I should feel uncomfortable under his eyes as they scanned me from head to toe and back up, but I didn’t. Probably just the booze and I let it.

‘Yes, I’m fine. It was my fault, I should be sorry.’ I answered and I turned to walk away, but the man grabbed my arm and pulled me back. Considering I’m ten times as strong as he is, I could’ve easily yanked myself free, but the alcohol made it hard to think straight.