Chapter 3: Past and Memories

~ Past and Memories ~

14 April 1950 ~ Enzo

I wake up from a door opening and I hear movement next to me before I am even really awake. Ruby is standing in front of the cell door, staring intensely at the dark and the person to come. Intrigued as I am by her intensity, I get to my feet too and stand right next to her. Normally, I don’t really care who brings me my food as long as they do, but judging by her face, she does.

I recognize the footsteps on the stairs now. It is the son. Mathew. He does his fathers dirty work. He brings us the blood most of the time, disposes of bodies when someone has died during the experiments of his father and that kind of things. I can see him clearly before he steps into the light. Eyes just like his father’s. He will probably take over the family company. I have to suppress a laugh because of my poor choice of words.

I can smell the blood before I can even see it. Blood bags, not really my taste, but it will have to do. I’d rather put my teeth in Junior here, but his blood will be full of Vervain and it will cost me much afterwards.

Then I notice he has only one little cup in his hand. Apparently, they think Ruby is still to strong.

I glance at Ruby and I see she is even more furious than before. Her hands are clenched to fists next to her side to keep them from shaking. Mathew probably doesn’t notice, but with my vampire eyes, I can see the slight movement of the shaking. I wonder when she will blow. I gotta say; she has given me more amusement in less than three days than I had in the ten years I’ve been here. I like her fire.

‘You.’ She hisses through clenched teeth.

‘Oh yeah,’ Mathew starts, ‘you must be a little upset with me. I’m sorry; we’ve never been properly introduced.’ He says with so much sarcasm that Ruby’s hands start to shake noticeably now.

‘I’m Mathew.’

‘Go away.’ She says and Mathew puts the cup on the ground in frond of my cell door and then makes something that is supposed to be an apologizing gesture.

‘Fine. You weren’t going to get food anyway.’ Then he turns around, but before he leaves Ruby says something.

‘You’re a monster, just like your father.’

Mathew turns around and raises his eyebrow to her. ‘I’m the monster? You were going to kill me the other night remember?’ I give Ruby another glance and see one flash of guilt, before she goes defensive.

‘I was turning around to leave! I didn’t want to hurt you! I wanted to leave before you stabbed me in the back!’ Ruby screams at him, but he doesn’t flinch, just turns around and walks away giving her the cold shoulder. Ruby is still screaming insults to him until his footsteps are long gone far out of hearing range. When she finally stops, she lets herself fall unto the ground.

‘Better?’ I ask, looking at her amused. She nods without looking up to me and I bend down to get the cup of hospital blood bag blood.

‘Apparently the Great Man likes you weak.’ I say and I lay as much sarcasm in my voice as I can possibly muster and she laughs. Even if it is half-heartedly, it is better than nothing. I sit down too and look down the cup.

They just give us a little bit, enough to stay alive and to get through the torture, but not enough to stay strong. I glance up at Ruby.

‘You need it more than I do.’ I say handing her the little cup through the bars, but she just stares at it not making the impression she is planning on taking it. She keeps staring at the red liquid and her wall of resistance crumbles, her eyes filling with hunger. She breathes in through her mouth apparently determent she can do without.