Chapter 24: New Year's Eve

~ New Year’s Eve ~

31 December 1950 ~ Enzo

I’d be lying if I say I’ve slept much. I know the others haven’t either, though they didn’t say a word. Once Ruby drifted off to sleep somewhere around three o’clock, I too felt my eyelids grow heavy and finally, Ruby’s hand still comforting mine, I found sleep. For about half an hour.

Not that it matters anyway, since we don’t really need sleep to function, it would’ve been nice to have some more than half an hour. Normally, people would be excited for a New Year to come, making up New Year’s resolutions they know they’ll never keep, but do it anyway, because it’s a tradition. Augustine’s people just added one more thing; showing off their experiments. But never the less, New Year’s Eve for them was something to enjoy, something to look forward to.

For us, that is quite different. Every year, I’ve dreaded this day. Another year past, another year of torture ahead. And now, though I won’t have to face another year of pain, I still dread it. I don’t think I can ever celebrate New Year’s Eve again.

I roll my head to look at Ruby, who is finally asleep again after hours of turning and tossing around. Once, she caught me staring at her in the dark and gave me a reassuring smile, but I didn’t buy it. As convinced as she seemed at some point, so lost does she look now. She dreads this day too.

I take my time taking everything about her in. I might not be able to do it again. Maybe I’ll never see her asleep again, so I do my best to grasp my chance.

She has her head turned towards me, lips slightly parted – which makes her look rather cute – and her eyelashes brush her pale cheeks. The hand that is not holding mine is resting on her stomach and my eyes skim over her body. Though she is short, she still has curves at the right places. The way her hair falls down in waves over her shoulder make her look unbelievably sexy, though she herself has no idea how beautiful she is. I realize I can’t remember I’ve ever told her how smart, beautiful and sexy she is. I should change that before I’m too late.

I hate thinking like that, but I can’t help it. Isn’t this the reason we didn’t want to start a relationship in the first place? Because we were afraid to get hurt if one of us died? Did I make a mistake falling for her like I have? Did I put her in jeopardy of another broken heart?

I shake my head slightly as I reach out to brush her cheek now she doesn’t notice it. It doesn’t matter anyway. If I did, I’m too late to change it now.

‘I know you’re staring.’ Ruby suddenly says, making me jump. She still has her eyes closed, but is slightly smiling. Other than that, to the human eye she’d look as if she were asleep. I chuckle softly, scooting a little closer to her.

‘I was just thinking I never really said how beautiful you are.’ I say and now she opens her eyes. Her eyes go wide in surprise and then her smile grows wider.

‘You think?’

‘You really have no idea do you?’ I whisper, reaching out to play with her hair. ‘You are the most pure, beautiful, smart and sexy woman I’ve ever met.’

She snorts, looking away. She suddenly seems doubtful. She really has no clue.

‘It’s not like I have much competition down here.’ She whispers.

‘Now you forget about Maggie.’ I joke with a wink. ‘No really. Love, you don’t see yourself the way I see you.’

‘Well, I think you too are handsome, smart and really sexy.’ She says, drawing out the ‘really’ as she brushes my lips lightly.