Chapter 14: For Eternity

~ For Eternity ~

12 August 1950 ~ Ruby

When I open my eyes I’m blinded by light that is so strong that it almost seems like… daylight? I don’t know why, but for some reason it feels like there shouldn’t be daylight. But that doesn’t make sense right? Or don’t I have my daylight ring?

Slowly, my eyes adjust to the sun. I look around and notice I’m in a clearing in the middle of the woods.

How the hell did I get here? And why am I alone? Shouldn’t there be someone here with me? I try my hardest, but my foggy mind can’t come up with an answer. Even thinking of a question to ask myself seems hard as a headache takes over.

Then I hear a twig break behind me and with my vampire speed I jump to my feet which causes my head to feel like it has been abused by daggers. I ignore the pain and I see a shadow hiding in the woods. Who ever it is gives me enough time to notice him or her and then turns around heading to the deeper parts of the woods.

My head tells me that the clearing is much safer than heading into the woods, but since I have no idea where I am or how I got here, I can better follow the figure. If that person had wanted to hurt me, it would’ve already right?

Come on, Ruby. You’re a freaking vampire.

So I order my feet to follow the hooded figure – I can see now the person is dressed in black jeans and a hoodie as I get closer – and leave the light behind.

‘Who are you?’ I shout at the figure, but the person doesn’t even hesitate. ‘Where are you taking me?’ I yell a little louder.

This is weird...

We enter another clearing. Though that’s what I think at first, but when I step into the light, I see a few houses ahead and more that looks like a town if you follow the road that lead downtown apparently.

But then I almost have a heart attack; I know this town. I know the red roofs of the houses and the small road that will lead closer to the center of town.

How do I know?

I’ve lived here.

The place the figure lead me is Half Moon Bay. How many times I have walked down this road? Just a few blocks away I will find my house. Our should I say mansion? My family was part of the elite of Half Moon Bay and my family expected that I would always behave as a lady and marry a man with status. Instead, I always said the wrong thing and ran off with a vampire. I must have been such a disappointment to them.

Suddenly I feel someone is behind me and I quickly turned around to find the figure has gotten rid of the hood. I grasp as I see my little sister just a few steps away, still in black cloths she never would’ve worn, her hood falling on her back now revealing her hair and face. She looks just as I remember and somewhere between seeing my hometown and my dead little sister in black, I know this must be a dream.

‘Theresa?’ I breathe and even though I just figured this is a dream, my feet seem to drag me to my little sister. Just when I’m about to wrap my arms around her fragile body, she disappears, gone up in smoke. My fingers reach out, but all they do is cut through the black smoke that is slowly vanishing in the air.

Then I know I was wrong; this isn’t a dream. This is a nightmare.

After almost having my sister back, I’m dragged into oblivion before opening my eyes again to a whole new set of nightmares.

I see Theresa collapse in our frond yard; see Eric die all over again; relive Whitmore’s torture and lastly find Enzo and Damon dead in our cells.