Chapter 9: Bonding

~ Bonding ~

25 April 1950 ~ Enzo

As Ruby was telling me her life story, I was struggling to keep my emotions hidden. She had told me why she felt awful for sharing blood with me and I totally understood. If Maggie had been a vampire I would’ve felt the same way. I still tried to fight it though, wanting to hold on to my anger, because that is the easiest thing to hold on to. It is so easy to be angry with Ruby, with Whitmore, with Mathew. Even to be angry with Damon for no particular reason.

But when she said I am the first person she has ever told this, I broke. Meaning my wall broke too. With that one little sentence Ruby was able to let my wall crumble down, let it fall into pieces. Then I said something I hadn’t counted on.

‘We still need to talk about that blood sharing, right?’

She nodded like she was hypnotized and without actually talking about anything, she exposed her neck to me by putting her head back and letting her brown hair fall on her back. My teeth started to water instantly and as I held the back of her neck and her waist to keep her in place – I felt like she would either fall or break in my hands – I bit her neck, letting the blood drip in my mouth. I felt Ruby grip my shirt and I pulled her closer in a reflex, being completely blown away by this sensation.

Then I pulled back and I stared at her. Still being slightly out of breath I turned my head so she could reach my neck too. She looked my in the eye with the same hunger I had in my eyes just a minute ago and she too bit down.

Now she is drinking and my heart beats faster. She runs her hand down my chest, the same hand that was clenched at my shirt a minute ago.

Does she realize she is driving me crazy right now?

Does she realize that her hand on my chest leaves fireworks – as cliché as it sounds it is true – and that it almost makes me moan?

Does she feel that I want her to touch a place where there is no cloths to ruin the sensation?

I know out bonding is getting stronger, though this is just the second time of blood sharing.

My hand trails over her back and I try to squeeze her body closer to mine, though the bars still prevent us to. A part of my brain registers that the bars are keeping us apart because Whitmore wants that. But then Ruby pulls away and I feel the blood tickle down my neck. She licks her lower lip to whip away any blood and then we just sit there.

I don’t know how long, but then Damon’s screams reach my ears again – and since now I can hear ten times better it is not really a pleasure.

Ruby looks a bit guilty too and she closes her eyes. She suddenly looks younger and I can see the girl she was when her sister died. I can see the girl Eric must have met and the girl he had fallen in love with. But then she is gone and she is back to the girl I know.

‘Come here.’ I say as I scoot over to the wall and squeeze my shoulder and my arm through the bars. She smiles at me thankfully and snuggles against my shoulder and I wrap my arm around her. This time neither of us can block the screams out and we don’t want too. We both want to share Damon’s agony. Our friend’s agony.

We just hold each other waiting for it to be over.

***

A few hours later the house is quiet.

Ruby has fallen asleep against my shoulder and I feel myself doze off so now and then too. Another side effect of the blood sharing. It leaves a relax feeling. No, that is not the right word. It feels like you’re complete.