Chapter 13: The Bad Boy and the Prince

~ The Bad Boy and The Prince ~

10 August 1950 ~ Ruby

July had quietly gone over in August without any hold ups or problems. Quite uneventful you might say.

Every time Mathew or his father came into the basement I could smell the summer on their skin and I’d feel a stab of jealousy. I’d never wanted to feel the sun on my skin and the wind in my hair so badly, which wasn’t possible since I was locked away in here and I didn’t have my daylight ring.

If I ever got out, it would be at night. It will be long before I can ever see the sun again. Summer had always been my favorite time of the year, but it had never been so important for me before.

I pictured myself lying in the grass of my backyard, glancing at the little house that hadn’t changed in my absence. Then I looked back, the sun burning my sensitive eyes, but I didn’t care. I could see the sun again, feel it burn on my skin and feel a soft breeze on my cheeks, while it played with my hair making it blow in my face multiple times. Then I would look to my right. There was Enzo looking back at me with his brown eyes sparkling in the light with an amused look and he’d grab my hand. When I looked to my left, I’d find Damon lying there too, one of his legs pulled up trying to look as casually as possible.

That was the picture that kept me going. The only setback is that it won’t be sunny like in my imagination since we would probably escape in the freaking winter. Oh well, then I guess we’d just lie around in the snow, looking up at the stars.

This might be the hundredth time I’d pictured either of these scenes.

Every time I have to remind myself that it will take a few months until it might come to reality. The keyword being might.

I know the sun is about to rise, which means that today it will be my turn to be chained down again.

As always, we’re all wide awake. Since Whitmore has settled in the circle of habit so everyday we know exactly who is next and now we’re don’t have to feel anxious about the unknown.

‘I wonder when Mathew starts to provide you with some extra food.’ Damon says after Enzo stated Mathew might feel bad after I’ve been tortured. I laugh at his statement and for once Enzo laughs with me. Since our conversation – and our pretty heated kiss – he hasn’t been a pain in the ass about the ‘Mathew situation’ which really lightens the mood down here.

‘Yeah, you’d be happy if he did.’ I respond shaking my head. ‘Since you’d be taking advantage of my special treatment.’ It still didn’t feel good to use Mathew this way, but on the other hand, he started to like me, not the other way around.

‘Well, I’m the one who is going to get us out.’ Damon runs his finger through his hair, leaving it even sloppier than before. Though no one can deny that even in this state, Damon still looks dashing. No matter how dirty, Damon will always look like he just stepped out of some history romance novel. You know, the typical bad boy falls in love with a good girl story – if you forget what a bitch Katherine was in the nineteenth century – he totally fits in considering his never dying arrogance.

Though Enzo has that same kind of look; that arrogant smirk, his chocolate colored eyes combined with the fire he seems to wear as an outfit makes him the perfect fit too. The only difference is that Enzo doesn’t stay arrogant for long. When you get to know him, there is this sweetness underneath those layers of self-defense. He cares more than he’s letting on. Maybe it is just that we practically share one mind that I know or my knowledge of human nature – or in this case both human nature and vampire nature.