Chapter 23: No Good in Goodbye

~ No Good in Goodbye ~

30 November 1950 ~ Ruby

Yes, over a month has past since Scott had been turned. And we just had one month to go. One month. It sounds like an eternity, but also like we just have seconds left. The both scare me like hell. The closer it gets to New Year’s Eve, the worse it feels to live down here. But on the other hand, I’m afraid of what will happen that night.

All the things that could go wrong…

Even when it goes right, it can still go bad.

I don’t even know why I feel so anxious all the time. Yes, we can die. We can die at any given moment if we stay here. No, the thing that bothers me is: I’m afraid things are going to change. Augustine gave the three of us a common enemy, a purpose even and what will change when that falls away? Will we come out stronger than ever?

Yeah, pretty obvious now that I worry a lot.

It’s not like we have a lot of things to do down here other than think and worry.

Well, at least there is one thing that kept me occupied. Scott had been visiting every day. Partly to learn to control it, partly because he feels guilty for our situation, but also because he has been lonely. He never said it out loud, but it’s hard not to notice. The kid had obviously been neglected by his father and without his mother it has been hard on him. Apart from Mathew, he is all alone.

I feel bad for leaving in a month. We were getting close. We’ve gotten to the point where it was okay for me to call him Scotty, a name only Mathew ever seemed to use. Even Enzo did a good job with the kid. Somehow, it just seemed impossible not to fall in love with Scott. The only one who didn’t seem to like him a bit is Damon.

Of course.

Just on cue, I hear Scott run off the stairs like he does every day now. His muffled footsteps fly over the stairs like only a vampire can. He jumps down the last two and lands quietly, grinning widely.

This kid is a total mystery to me. One day, he is totally depressed about the fact he is a vampire, yelling at Damon and the next he is showing off his skills.

Skills we can’t use right now. I hear Enzo say in my mind and I chuckle. We told Scotty about our ‘connection’, since it is the kind of vampire thing he has to know, but also asked him not to tell anyone.

Just be glad he’s not trashing the place today. I answer back and I can feel Enzo rolling his eyes to me without I even have to look.

‘Hey, Scotty.’

‘You two are weird.’ He says without greeting me back. I scowl at him and grab Enzo’s hand, something I never do when anyone is around. Somehow, every time I do I am oddly comforted just by holding his hand. I’m head over heels for this guy.

‘Hey, you aren’t insulting your teacher now are you?’ I raise my eyebrow and Scotty smiles mischievously. ‘Kiddo, I’m serious. I’m fifteen years older remember? I could kick your skinny ass out of that door in no time.’

That got both Scott and Enzo laughing and even Damon cracks a small smile though he wipes it off his face as soon as possible. He is really persistent in maintaining the bad boy act when Scott is around. I know he is just trying to justify what he has done in his own twisted way.

‘Says who? You’ve seen your ass?’ Enzo smirks at me and he squeezes my hand.

You love my ass, Lorenzo. I say, using his entire name on purpose just to tease him. I know how he hates that name. Though at least Lorenzo at least sounds like a real name. Enzo? Not so much.