Chapter 18: Two versus Zero

~ Two versus zero ~

26 September 1950 ~ Enzo

I’m tapping my fingers on the ground in a fast rhythm as a weak attempt to calm myself down, while Ruby is pacing up and down her cell.
Whitmore is taking his time with Damon; I hear him above us, taking precautions like giving Damon one more dose of Vervain and using more chains than usual which he retrieved from somewhere the hour before.

I only understand half of what he is doing up there, but it is clear to me that Damon is far from happy; he has been calling Whitmore names for a long time now. Every time he throws in another one, I flinch waiting for the scream to come.

Surprisingly, Whitmore doesn’t bulges and just continues whatever he is doing. He must have a lot of faith in this new serum, otherwise he would’ve killed Damon about a hundred times already.

While listening and waiting, my fingers continue to tap though my brain doesn’t even registers it. In my mind I’m upstairs with Damon, but suddenly Ruby brings me back to reality.

‘Stop that! I’m getting nervous of you.’ She snaps at me and my fingers freeze in the air above the ground. I snort at her comment.

‘You’re getting nervous because of me? You’re the one who has been pacing for the last few hours.’

She too stops dead in her tracks as she just then realizes what she is doing. She gives me her I-don’t-want-to-argue look and I throw my arms up in the air to say ‘neither do I’ and she sits down with a sight.

I know what we are both hoping for. We keep waiting for Whitmore to slip up so Damon will have a chance to break free. In the best case scenario even kill him, steal his keys and get us out of here.

But we also both know that is not going to happen.

I feel Ruby’s eyes fixed on me and I’m compelled to look up. Everything in her expression screams pain and terror. Her jaw is clenched, eyes widened exposing her beautiful blue eyes even better and every muscle in her face is tensed in expectation of the end of our friend.

I must look just like her. I reach out for her and she reacts immediately by grabbing my hand, her eyes filled with the same desperation for comfort that has settled in my stomach.

I pull her against my chest and tuck her head under my chin, combing through her hair with my fingers. Ruby’s warm breath brushes against my neck and I try to tighten the embrace though the bars make it hard.

‘I meant what I said before… you know.’ I whisper into her hair and I can hear her heartbeat pick up which makes me smile slightly.

‘Me too.’ She mutters against my chest but then we get interrupted by something Whitmore does or rather says.

‘So, subject 21051,’ he says, though his voice is a bit tuned down as a vampire I can hear him perfectly, ‘let’s get started shall we?’

‘You son of a bitch. Go to hell.’ I hear Damon say with as much hatred as he can muster and then spits, probably in Whitmore’s face. I feel a little smile playing on my lips though it must look more sad than anything else; Ruby is wearing the same kind of smile I’m sure though her face is still buried in my neck.

‘Go Damon.’ Ruby whispers.

‘You so stupid kid. I’m sure going to make you suffer.’ I shudder because of the eerie tone in his voice and Ruby snuggles closer against me at his words.

I wonder how it is possible that this monster has a pretty decent son. Hopefully Mathew’s mother did the parenting, because if Whitmore had done it then his son would be a serial killer too. No, I wonder how you can marry a guy like Whitmore.