Chapter 15: A Forgotten Confession

~ A Forgotten Confession ~

13 August 1950 ~ Ruby

Though hearing Enzo’s voice gave me just the energy I needed to get through the next couple of terrible flashes; first Whitmore appeared and stabbed me for what felt like hours until my vision grew blurry and the scene changed. After that I opened my eyes in my cell and for one second I thought it would all be over. But then the ground started to shake and when I couldn’t reach Enzo for some reason I knew this was just another nightmare. The walls started to crumble down all at once and for some reason none of the falling bricks ever touched me. I vaguely wondered then what fear this was. I hadn’t had this one yet.

But when suddenly the sun shone down on me, I knew.

I didn’t have my daylight ring.

Instantly, my flesh started to burn and I screamed out in agony, my screams blurring together with Enzo’s and Damon’s. There was nothing to hide behind. Nothing that could safe us. I knew we’d die.

Even though Enzo gave me the power to move on, after a couple of those I’m done. Tired to the bone. With every time the darkness swallows me in expectation of the next fear, my heart aches hopefully but every time no one answers my screams. For some reason I can’t reach Enzo and for some reason he isn’t trying to reach me – or it just isn’t working.

Enzo!! Where are you?

Suddenly, a terrifying screams fills my head, bounces around in a hundred echoes, which makes my skull shake from the force of the sound.

Is this another vision? Am I forced to listen to Enzo’s screams? I know it is him and my angry shouts get swallowed in the space where there is no air, no hope and no life. This isn’t another vision yet. I’m still in the dark space somewhere in my poisoned mind where I heard Enzo’s voice some time ago.

Whitmore is torturing him. A voice in my head tells me, though I can hardly understand any of it while Enzo’s screams cut through my soul.

Enzo! I scream his name over and over again, hoping for some kind of reaction other than the horrible screams.

I need to help him. Somehow, I can’t reach him from this state of mind. I have to wake up.

Wake up, Ruby!

The force of my own voice in my head made me grasp for air and this time, I taste the dry and dirty air from my cellar. I feel the ground underneath me more vivid than I did in my nightmares.

I’m awake.

13 August 1950 ~ Enzo

Whitmore doesn’t even consider the standard procedure. Actually, his face is twisted in rage and he doesn’t even bother to take one of the torture materials from the small side table next to the one I am lying on. He just punches me in my stomach and the force of the blow sucks the air right out of my lunges. While I grasp for oxygen I don’t really need, I do notice he hadn’t aimed his blow as well as he thought he had thanks to the rage clouding his judgment I suspect. He did hit my stomach yes, but he forgot about the chains he put around my stomach – I hadn’t even noticed they were there before since I was too busy reading his studies, but I’m sure as hell glad there now. He hit his hand right at the metal instead of the soft tissue of my skin and he grabs his fist with his other hand, groaning in pain and pure frustration.

I strongly suspect he has broken at least one of the tiny bones in his hand.

As he continues grunting, he stumbles towards the side table and grabs the first thing he can get; a dagger.