Outtake - Meeting Nana

AN: This was supposed to be in the chapter called On a Starry Night, but I felt it wasn't needed and it didn't work out because of a timeline issue. I thought you'd like to see it anyway.

We had to have dinner early since Bella needed to be at the theatre by six. Though she was nervous, no one would've been able to tell when we walked into my parents' house later that afternoon. Except for the tightening of her fingers around mine, she appeared as charming, calm and sweet, as usual.

With a bright smile, she greeted my ruddy faced father, my usually shy mother, and an unexpected guest, too. Thankfully, they'd all given Bella in a hug, including Nana. It might prove to be the most embarrassing and strangest meal I'd ever had.

My grandmother spoke her mind and often left my mother speechless. She was tiny thing, probably only five-two and less than hundred-and-five pounds, if that. Her curly grey hair was tamed by a fancy silver clip and pearls hung in both ears.

Mom went to check on dinner and Dad had to retreat to his office to take a call. Alone with my grandma, she turned to Bella immediately.

"You're a little skinny," Nana said to Bella, assessing her as if she were a prized race horse. Nana had a thing for the tracks.

Bella smiled. "I think so, too," she replied easily. "But for now, I can't keep the fat on."

"You eat?" Nana asked as she tugged on Bella's elbow to lead us toward the family room.

"Like a horse," Bella said cheerfully. I almost lost it then, clapping my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing. How does she know what I'm thinking? "Do you think Edward's too thin?" With that question asked, Nana turned to see if I met her standards.

"You fattening him, aren't you?" she said with a smile to Bella, who shrugged and grinned. "Good. No more of those God awful, fast food places."

"I would never allow that," Bella said behind her hand. She gave me a little wink before she returned her attention to my grandmother.

"Don't think he won't go looking," she said, poking my chest as if I already committed a crime or something. "The thing to do is keep him full so he won't go touching." Bella maintained a calm composure when it hit me on what my grandmother was actually referring to.

"Nana!" I said loudly. "I would never cheat on Bella, and as for the looking, why would I when I have her?"

Nana turned a lethal glare toward me. "What are you on about?" Then she smacked my ear. "You even think of side-stepping on this girl, she'd have you hanged by the fellas in no time."

I gaped. "Wasn't all that talk about looking, cooking and touching referring to my possible cheating ways?"

Nana shook her head and smacked the back of my head again. Thank God, she was only visiting. "We were talking the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. If that is where you're mind wandered," she turned to Bella. "You best be ending this now."

I spluttered. "No! I didn't know!" I threw my hands up in frustration. "Women! You all speak in codes."

Bella started to laugh and even hunched over from it. "He doesn't know you own the theatre does he, Mae?"

Did she just call my Nana by her first name?

"You'd think after all the stories of my days on grand stages would've clued him in."

"Edward," Bella said softly. "I met your grandmother months ago. Of course, I hadn't put two and two together until tonight. I had no idea until our arrival that she was your grandmother. When she hugged me earlier, she whispered that she wanted to have a little fun with you. I merely played along."