xix. all of my what-ifs

chapter nineteen ━ can't fight biologyseason seven, episode four

chapter nineteen can't fight biology
season seven, episode four

❝ did she actually use
the word hostile?

"I don't understand why you don't just go for it. Get back in the saddle." Mae's matter-of-fact tone echoed through her phone speaker.

"Ride into the sunset." Summer added, her voice distant and distracted.

Aliya didn't know about Mae, but she began to notice a change in Summer during the past couple of weeks, both physically and in her communication.

She didn't know if she as being superstitious, but even her voice changed from her usual sarcastic tone, to one where her words appeared just a bit more lazy, where she would drift out of the conversation at any given minute, detaching completely from the conversation.

Aliya scoffed, balancing her phone in the nook of her shoulder as she searched her draws for a public appropriate outfit that wasn't infact her pyjamas. "What is with the equestrian metaphors to describe my love life?"

"Or, the lack of one." Summer muttered through the phone as Aliya sighed, rolling her eyes and reaching for her coffee mug, taking a sip only to realise it was stone cold.

"We are just saying, Lye—" Aliya tugged out a pair of trousers as Mae spoke. "—put yourself out there. After all the shit you've been through the past month, you deserve some happiness."

"I am happy." Aliya lied through her teeth, her voice straining. After broken off high school romances, ex-fiancées and infidelity, she didn't have the greatest luck in love.

"I call bullshit." Summer pitched in.

"Hey!" Aliya defended. "I can be content without a man between my legs." A splutter sounded from Mae's line over Summer's loud chuckle.

"Crap, I got coffee on my carpet!" Mae swore down the line.

"Language!" Summer replied back.

"You said bullshit two seconds ago!" Aliya called out, wriggling out of her pyjama bottoms to slip on her trousers. "Anyway, in less dirtier terms, my happiness does not rely on men. In fact, I found a rare neuroblastoma in a baby. It didn't even show up on the scans, but—"

"I have no idea what you are saying but it sounds cool, well done." Summer replied, as Mae laughed lightly on the background.

"Long story short, the baby survived." Aliya reflected, her lips twitching slightly. "I saved someone the pain from loosing their child. If I can do that a thousand more times in my life, I don't see how I can be unhappy."