iii. don't run with scissors

chapter three ━ i saw what i sawseason six, episode six

chapter three i saw what i saw
season six, episode six

❝ it was a mess. ❞

There were moments where the will to live completely and truly disappeared.

And, the truth was that anything would be better than whatever the hell was going on here.

Sure, Aliya knew what had happened, in a very hectic, very disorganised kind of way. Which was that a woman had died just a matter of minutes ago in a trauma room, with every resident in the hall crowded around her as everything that could've went wrong, went wrong. From the very beginning, to when time of death — 12:45am — was called.

Everything failed.

With her back pressed up against her seat, Aliya's hands were tapping some sort of rhythmic tune on the armrests out of habit, because the fact that the Chief of Surgery had everyone gathered in the hallway outside the conference was enough to send Aliya's carefully constructed calm demeanour down to rubble.

It never was anything good when you put feuding residents in a hall together.

The brunette stared straight ahead with widened eyes that were fixated on an unassuming chair leg as she tried to piece together what could have happened in her mind, though it only made her even more confused and, she was sure her accomplices were feeling the exact same way.

Lexie looked green, and a few of the Mercy Westers — now clad in blue scrubs — looked even worse.

Though, via some sort of magnetism, one side of the hall was crowded with the new residents, and the other side was full of the originals.

"Someone's definitely getting fired." A voice announced over the top of the overlapping murmurs and whispers, and Aliya realised it was Reed Adamson — the short, kind of bitchy, kind of annoying one.

"Stop it." April Kepner, the one Lexie swore had a nose job, according to the infamous red notebook she stole, spoke up.

Charles Percy sighed before opening his mouth to add something intellectual to the conversation. "She wasn't even my patient."  

Cristina slowly turned her head to face the man, casting him a look as if he was the bane to her entire existence (which they were). "What?"

"Nothing."

The voices seemed to have died down now that Owen had strode past them, and Aliya tried miserably to hide her yawning into her palm, the events of the day catching up to her.