xxvi. i knew everything when i was young

chapter twenty six ━ 'tis the damn seasonseason seven, episode ~

chapter twenty six 'tis the damn season
season seven, episode ~

❝ i can't even look
at you right now. ❞

two weeks later

It was five in the morning, and Aliya was running.

For the sake of clarity, she was not running away from anything, she wasn't in a horror movie or anything sinister along those lines.

She was actually running for recreational reasons, which was a shock to anyone who knew her well enough because she never had the time nor the enthusiasm to exercise.

And, she would much rather buy cups of coffee than a gym membership. At least those gave her joy and energy, rather making her even more tired and irritable.

After coming home from California a couple weeks ago, she found that every time she closed her eyes, all she could think about was Summer and if her chemo was actually working, if the tumour would have a chance at coming back, her mother still putting her at the end of the table during Thanksgiving, and oddly the fact that she had to pick up more kibble for Reese, and also the appointment she had with Andy's lawyer.

And, that a recent study that showed caffeine drinkers have a smaller lifespan than herbal tea drinkers, though there was no validity to that statement in the article.

However, that didn't stop the so-called fact from entering Aliya's mind.

She could not switch to herbal tea.

Therefore, instead of staring at her ceiling blankly and listening to Jackson's quiet breathing that made her think he was actually dead from how he slept so soundly now that he was on his sleep medication, every morning at an ungodly hour whilst most of Seattle slept, Aliya would run.

It started about a week ago, she was on a seven day streak.

Every morning, she would slip out of bed just before five o'clock, dodge the creaky floorboards in her room that Lexie pointed out were old just three weeks ago to avoid waking up Jackson who only occasionally stirred when she left the room, slip into her just as old (practically ancient) sports leggings and jacket, lace up her trainers outside after she locked the door and put on Reese's lead to take him with her.

It could be said that she was running away from something, but that's a statement only her therapist would say.