vii. the last great american dynasty

chapter seven ━ holidaze part oneseason six, episode ten

chapter seven holidaze part one
season six, episode ten

❝ nothing can be as bad
as thanksgiving '03. ❞

thanksgiving eve

Most surgeons always say this, but the OR has its own separate time zone. Depending on the surgery, it could either feel incredibly slow, or incredibly quick, and with rare interruptions from the outside world, a surgery can feel like minutes when you've actually been operating for hours on end.

Surgery is escapism to most doctors. The cool, chill of the operating room, the constant smell of antiseptic. Surgery can become an addiction for doctors. It's the euphoria. The complete relaxation when you are at one with a scalpel, when the surgical procedures and techniques become muscle memory.

The thing Aliya liked most about surgery is the fixing. The joy you get when you tell a person that their family or friend is okay. The smile on their faces. That's what the majority of what surgeons lived for.

Aliya guessed she was that weird kid in science class who would voluntarily cut open pigs hearts, even though she didn't want to be. She was never squeamish, something you need when you dedicate your life to becoming a surgeon and staring at the inside bodies for hours on end, maybe even all day.

Aliya spent more time in an operating room looking at open body cavity's than being in a relationship.

It was all pretty tragic.

"Levine, surgical stitch." Bailey pointed into the body cavity in front of them as Bohkee quickly handed Aliya a pair of suture scissors and a needle with a long line of thread.

Aliya whispered a 'thank you' as she rapidly stitched along the internal incision, quickly tying it off as she reached the end, pulling up the forceps to tighten the stitch and passing the instruments back to Bohkee.

"Good, Levine. You've really perfected your subcuticular suture, well done."

"Thank you." Aliya grinned at her from underneath her mask.

Bailey eyed her from over her own mask, narrowing her dark eyes. "Now stop smiling and remove the clamps."

Aliya nodded, removing the clamps and the pair watch intently, waiting to see if any blood appeared.

"Okay looks good, we can now—" Bailey begun, but was interrupted by a phone vibrating aggressively on the table.

Aliya stared into the body cavity guiltily, as Bailey brought up her face slowly, looking directly at her. Aliya lifted her eyes as Bailey narrowed her own. "I thought you put the phone on silent."