CHAPTER 23

Date:  25 May, 2020

Eid Mubarak to all those who are celebrating Eid today and to those too who celebrated it yesterday.

____________________

“I cannot believe you actually did it.  I have literally never been this happy.” Haya chirped. Zayer and Amaan reached back home to find Haya on her toes, waiting for them.

“Yeah well it was time to make things right.”

“See Dani? Mamu got his brains back.” Haya cooed as she talked to her baby who was staring back at his mother.

Zayer didn’t argue. He was about to marry Faria. One woman he never wanted to get married to. This kind of act actually required losing brains.

“Where is Shahana aunty?”

“She is praying.”

Amaan who had beelined to kitchen walked back to them whilst gorging on a sandwich.

“Anyway, how did they take it?” Haya asked and sat on a couch next to Amaan.

“Not good and Faria really hates you” Amaan answered

“Really?” Haya’s excitement at it made Amaan raise his eyebrows.

“This is not something to be excited about.”

“Well I read somewhere, if people hate you, it is because you actually did something in your life.”

“She hates you because of your quips and also because she knows you were never happy with this wedding, not because you achieved something in your life.”

“So you mean I haven’t achieved anything in my life?”

“That is not what I meant.”

Realizing that Amaan was officially doomed, Zayer left the couple alone and left to meet Shahana. Shahana wasn’t explicit about how happy this decision had made her, but she did bless him and prayed for him and had a huge smile on her face all day. All this made Zayer happy too. In his own anger, he had made lot of people unhappy. But, now, seeing everyone happy and back to normal, a huge weight lifted off his chest. Now the only person he needed to make everything right with was Samreen.

Nothing was going to get normal with her in one go. It was going to take time and he was ready to take things slowly with her as long as she was too. Taking out his phone, he texted her.

‘Can you meet me tomorrow?’

After 15 minutes, his phone beeped, indicating her reply.

‘Why? Is everything alright?’

‘Yes. Everything is fine. Just need to talk.’

‘I don’t think us meeting is such a good idea.’

‘This is important. Please.’

‘Ok. Meet me at the ice-cream shop Haya often goes to. It is closer to my place of work.’

She answered after taking full 20 minutes. Zayer could feel her hesitation in the text. He couldn’t blame her. She still thought he was marrying Faria and he had hurt her too.

Next day, Zayer waited for three hours. He called her and texted her, but Samreen didn’t answer. He drove to her school and there was no one. Dejected, Zayer went back home. It was at 7 in the evening, Rukhsaar called to inform that Samreen never returned home.

___________________