CHAPTER 18

Date: 9 April,2019

Flashback:
The fight between Zayer and Nadir and Nadir’s warning made Samreen realize that her time to hide her past was coming to an end. She knew the only way to have any chance of his forgiveness was to tell him everything on her own and she tried so many times. But the words would cease right on her tongue. After the wedding, the life continued normally for everyone. From outside, Samreen seemed normal too. But within her, there was a war waging between her heart and mind. The nightmares came more frequently than before now. However, how severe was the situation actually, she didn’t know until she saw Nadir outside the school she worked at two days after Amreen’s wedding.

Her breath quickened, lips trembled and she felt her hands turned clammy as Nadir stood in front of his car, staring at Samreen with a smirk that promised nothing good for Samreen. She wanted to ignore him and leave, but she knew he was going to follow her and in order to avoid any scene, she lied to Lubna saying he was a cousin and parting from her friend, she walked towards the person she hated the most.

“Hi beautiful”

Samreen cringed at his voice. He was the last person she wanted to talk to and still she was there.

“What are you doing here?” She asked

“Oh I thought we could talk. Its been a long time. We should catch up. Don’t you think?” Nadir’s voice sounded dangerous and full of mirth at the same time. His words made Samreen shiver, but her resolution to not break and show her fear in front of him helped her to stand straight and speak without stuttering.

“Why are you doing this?”

“Because its fun.”

“You are a sadist.”

“I know and I am pretty good at it too.”

“Stay away from me Nadir.” Samreen said and tried to walk away from him, but his next words bought her to abrupt halt.

“Does he know?”

She stopped and stared at him. She knew perfectly well what he meant but still prayed for these words to mean something else. Something that won’t crash down her world.

“About us? Does he know about us?” He added. When Samreen didn’t answer, victorious smile crossed his face.

“Didn’t think so. Oh Samreen you just made everything so much more fun.”

“Stay away from us Nadir. Please” Her voice finally quivered for at that time, fear of losing Zayer and him hating her seemed so close to turn into reality.

“I would have but your fiancé messed up. You should blame him.”

“You tried to hurt his sister.”

“I didn’t hurt his sister. I loved his sister.” Nadir sneered.

“Yeah and that’s exactly what hurt her. Your love.”

“Yeah just like your love is going to hurt Zayer. Right?” He smirked at her as the colour drained from Samreen’s face.

“What do you want?” The moment she said this, she regretted it. This is what she had asked him the last time and in order to save herself, she had thrown Haya and Amaan under the bus. However, this time, she wasn’t going to do so.