CHAPTER 21

Date: 24 April, 2020

After Zayer’s surprising visit, it didn’t shock Samreen when she saw Faria standing at her room’s door. With Samreen’s mother by her side, Faria decided to act a bit nicely. But the moment she left the two girls alone, she came back to herself.

“I must say, I underestimated you.” Faria said and seated herself in front of Samreen, right next to her injured foot.

“I don’t understand.”

“Trying to get Zayer back by acting all pathetic.”

“You have lost your mind Faria.”

Faria’s hand flurried to her injured ankle and she pressed it until a cry escaped Samreen’s lips.

“Are you mad? Let go of my foot.” Samreen cried in pain. She tried to remove Faria’s hand, but she shoved her back and pinned her to the headboard.

“You stay away from him, or I will break both of your ankles for good.” Faria seethed in anger and hardened he grip on her foot.

“Let go of me!”

“You know you underestimated me. You thought you could just come out of nowhere and take him away. But I proved you wrong. I helped Nadir in exposing you. I humiliated you, and yet, you think you stand a chance in front of me just because you broke your ankle?”

“FARIA!!” Samreen’s mother flounced towards her and pushed her away from Samreen.

“You stay away from my daughter. You understand? Or I will show you how to break ankles. You dare come into my house and threaten my daughter? Get out of here before I throw you out.” She was fuming in anger as she screamed at Faria.

Faria tried to act cool, but being a spoilt girl, she was not used to scolding for her wrong doings.

“Keep her away from me. It’s for her own good.” Faria said

“Leave. Now.”

When Faria was out of the house, Samreen’s mother examined Samreen’s injury again. Tears fell from her eyes and after months, mother-daughter hugged each other and cried.

……………………………………

“So how hard is it?”

“What?” Haya enquired as she moved her arms back and forth slowly to get Daniyal to sleep.

“Raising a baby.” Zayer replied.

“Well I have a good husband, so I am going through only fifty percent of what some women usually go through.”

“So your breakdown yesterday is only the result of fifty percent.”

“It wasn’t that bad.”

“You threw a tantrum Haya and the only way we could get you to shut up is by getting snickers for you.”

“Well I am sucker for them.”

Just then Rukhsar, Samreen’s Mother walked in and interrupted the bickering of the siblings.

“Assalamualaikum Khala” Haya chirped. Rukhsar walked to her and hugged her sideways as she had baby in her arms. Then kissing the baby, she sat down and greeted Zayer.

“Where is Shahana?” Rukhsar asked

“She went out for groceries. How is Samreen now? I would have dropped a visit, but this little devil doesn’t let me go anywhere.” Haya answered.

“Well that’s what kids are. But don’t worry, you will get the hang of it. And don’t worry about Samreen. She is doing Ok. In fact, I am here to talk about her…Well not exactly about her. It’s about Faria.”

Zayer straightened up as he heard Faria’s name. He knew for the matter of fact this wasn’t going to be anything good. He already had an argument with her right after he left Samreen’s place yesterday.

“What did she do?” He asked

“Look I know my daughter made a mistake and she is paying for it. Maybe more than she deserves. And right now, the last thing she needs is that woman threatening her.”

“What threat?” Haya asked alarmingly.

“She wants her to stay away from you Zayer, or Allah knows what she will do to my daughter. And she is staying away from you. I am very grateful to you. You helped her that day, but I think it’s better for all of us if you stay away from her.”

“Did she hurt Samreen?” Zayer asked after hearing everything. His temper had already spiked up. And the thought of Samreen being hurt in any way wasn’t helping him to cool down.

“A bit on her injured ankle. It doesn’t matter. I just want my daughter to get better and I want Faria to stay away from her. Please Zayer.”

“Don’t worry Khala. I will take care of it.”

When Shahana arrived, Zayer went to his room quietly. Haya laid Daniyal in bed and followed Zayer. She entered his room and saw him sitting on his bed with his head in between his arms.

“I know this look and these expressions. It’s the look of realization slowly, but effectively dawning over you.”

“Not now Haya.”

Sighing, Haya seated herself beside her brother and waited for him to speak.

“I don’t know what to do.” He said

“Yes you do. You have to let go your ego.”

“There is only a week left for wedding. I can’t do this now.”

“You ended things with Samreen on the day of nikah. Don’t you give me this stupid excuse.”

Zayer didn’t answer.

“You know it’s really simple. You marry Faria if you think it’s going to work. If not, then stop all of this.”

“yeah maybe.”

“You know marriage is a promise of a lifetime. And you shouldn’t make promises out of spite. It’s you who is going to get hurt more than anyone else.”

“I..I just wish I had never known. I still love her but I don’t know if I can trust her.”

You know for now, why don’t you just end things with Faria? Your relationship with Samreen needs a bit of work. You will eventually figure it out, but for now, get yourself out of the stupid mess.”

Zayer nodded in understanding. “Thanks.”

“Well…What are sisters for?” Haya answered, patting his back

“You are getting Fat” Zayer said after a few minutes of silence, only to be gifted with a kick on his ankle.

……………………………………..