Ch. 15: the Minnesotans call bullshit

The group got off the plane dazed from a rough landing, and then got into the first cab they saw. Elaine gave the man her address and most of the car ride was silent for about 10 minutes.

"Elaine?" Harry asked her. Elaine turned to face him.

"Yes?"

"Have you thought about how we're gonna tell your parents?"

Elaine bit the inside of her cheek and looked forward again, shaking her head slowly. She made eye contact with the driver in the rear view mirror and he smiled.

"You meeting her family for the first time?" He asked Harry, looking at him through the rear view mirror. Harry looked taken aback, but answered anyways.

"Yea, I am. First time in America, too."

"Well, hope Minnesota treats you nicely.. You from here, lady?"

"Sure am," Elaine said proudly.

"What an odd bunch you all are... red hair, hand me down clothes, you must be a Weasley," The driver mimicked an accent terribly and then laughed loudly before stopping abruptly and adding, "not that you've got to hand me down clothes, but the hair..."

Ginny and her brothers looked shocked and Elaine wanted to laugh.

"Y'all know Harry Potter?" The driver asked, as if trying to fix his possible mistake of an insult.

"Oh, yea, better than you'd think," George answered, realizing he was a fan and not some stalker.

"You got that right," Harry muttered, laughing.

"Wasn't that Malfoy?" Elaine asked curiously. Harry opened his mouth to reply but the driver beat him to it.

"Yes, yes it was. Book one, before the sorting ceremony. Nasty little brat he is..." The diver trailed off while exiting the highway as the five laughed.

"You've got that right." Ginny nodded towards the driver and he smiled widely, revealing braces. Elaine subconsciously ran her tongue along her teeth, trying not to remember her braces...

"Alrighty, two more minutes and we're there. Would you like me to pull into the driveway or just by the curb, miss?"

"The driveway is fine, thank you."

---

Elaine Ashryver stood in front of her childhood home, her hand raised to knock. The group behind her watched as she hesitated, and then knocked a little rhythm. Each had their bags in hand, and Elaine held her breath until the door opened, revealing a small teenage girl with long brown hair and blue eyes. The teen smiled widely at Elaine and then it faded as she saw the other four behind her. Her eyes went back to her sister, wide.

"Can we come in, Lena?" Elaine smiled widely and her sister nodded slowly as she opened the door fully. The five piled into the entryway and pulled off their shoes, following Elaine's lead. "You okay, Selena?"

"Dads in the kitchen..." Selena trailed off, her eyes fixated on Harry. Elaine nodded and motioned for the group to leave their bags as they followed her.

The house wasn't small, but cozy. It looked like one of those places you would see on an airbnb website, with decor on the walls among the pictures and artwork. They entered the kitchen and Elaine ran to her father, giving him a hug.

"Lou! When did you get here? I didn't hear any girly squeaks coming from your sister."

"I think she was too preoccupied with our guests," Elaine said, letting her father go and motioning for the four to come forward. They did, and Selena entered the kitchen. "Is Ryder here or will he meet them later?"