A Christmas Kiss

Later that evening, the four Marauders along with Lily and Marlene were all in the midst of the annual Potter Christmas party. The boys wore black dress robes, while Lily wore a tight dark green dress just above her knees, and Marlene wore a short black skater dress which accentuated her waist.

Sirius was obnoxiously leaning against a wall, with his foot propped up staring judgementally into the crowd of James' family friends. Remus and James were discussing something about Remus' prefect duties falling at an 'inconvenient time' and how to get his shift moved, while Marlene and Peter discussed his date with Freya on the ball. Lily, who had not told Marlene what had happened between her and Freya, stood close and listened but didn't say anything.

'So when's your next date?' Marlene asked, excited. 'Ooh you should definitely take her to the next Hogsmeade weekend! That's Valentines Day, right Lily?'

Oddly enough, Peter kept sending scattered glances at her like he knew what had happened with Freya. This was strange because this indicated that James had told him what had happened...so if he knew, why was he planning their next date? Had they come up with some sort of revenge plan? This seemed plausible to Lily, but at the same time, hadn't James changed now? Maybe a younger version of him would have Peter fake date Freya so he could get back at her...but not this new James, right?

Or maybe he hadn't changed at all.

Marlene was right though, the next Hogsmeade visit was for Valentine's Day but...how could she have forgotten? Thomas had asked her to go with him on the next trip...is that why he had chosen to ask her so soon? So that he had her secured until then and no other boy even had the chance to ask her?

No. She was overthinking it.

'Yeah. Valentines is the Monday after the weekend.' Lily regrettably confirmed.

'Great! Lily's awesome at planning cute little dates. She'd love to help too.' Marlene offered brightly. She had knack for setting people up with dates and dragging Lily in to help her.

'Sure.' Lily went to smile, but the corners of her mouth only turned up for a second before dropping back down again. She wasn't even about to try and convince Peter dating Freya was an okay thing to do. She bitterly stared at him, trying to mentally ask him what he was planning.

Marlene turned to her.

'You okay, Lily? You're being really quiet.' She leaned in closer so that Peter couldn't hear. 'Is it something that happened between you and James this morning?' She gasped and put her hand to her mouth. 'You didn't kiss did you?'

'No!' Lily hissed back. 'I'll tell you later.' She added softer, subtly nudging her head towards Peter.

Whether Marlene understood or not Lily didn't know, but she shrugged and continued her conversation with Peter, who had been nervously looking between them, obviously assuming Lily was spilling the big secret.

'Hey, Lily.' Sirius loudly whispered, and beckoned her closer. It seemed he had taken his eyes off the crowd and had been listening in.

'What Bl-Sirius?' She crossed her arms in front of her chest and waited.

'You'd be right in thinking Peter knows. I tried to stop him from taking her to the ball, but he wouldn't have it.'

Lily relaxed her arms slightly.

'What do we do?'

Sirius shrugged, eyes on the back of Peter's head.

'He wouldn't turn. Pete wouldn't do that after everything we've done for him. I don't know what he's thinking though, but we've got to keep an eye on him. Me, you, James, Remus and Marlene.'