Chapter 22: Breaking Free

Tora didn't want to tell Markl, but Ross's determination to dig out Tora's "true" self was worrying, almost frightening. He was so busy with Damien improving the security and intricate break-predicting system that Tora barely saw him. He even took his meals with Damien's at the computer where blueprints and textbooks surrounded them like a fortress. Without Damien to accompany him, Carlos became a sloth on the sofa, watching television day in and day out. Tora would have liked to ask him to train with her, but, wary of Ross's eyes on her back every time she moved about the house, she stayed away.

A week later, the cabin fever drove her crazy.

"I'm going for a run," she announced. Nobody said anything, too preoccupied in their own little worlds. Sighing, Tora slipped on her running gear and left without another word.

The sun had just set, leaving a bright yellow stain in the most distant part of the sky. Breathing in the chilling air, Tora sighed again, feeling the worries drain away. The house was suffocating. Everyone had more important things to do and Ross breathed down her neck on a constant basis, just itching to thrash her to death.

Tora set off, her ponytail swinging and her trainers slapping the pavement. The few people passing her barely paid her any attention, hurrying home after a long day at work. Her breathing remained slow and even as she emptied her mind of worries and took in the surroundings. Much as she'd love a good workout with Carlos to clear her head, somehow she knew it wouldn't end well.

Birds chirped in the trees she passed. Dogs panted, excited on the walks.  Their claws clipped on concrete before disappearing when they hit soft grass. Normally she'd never have given these sounds a second thought, but her stomach grumbled and her eyes zoned in on the dogs' necks: smooth fur beneath leather collars. She visualised sinking her teeth into the neck vessels, sweet blood gushing into her mouth. Their imaginary death cries were like music to her ears.

Something cold and wet dribbled to her chin. Tora wiped it and stared.

Was she drooling?!

"Ugh, such a skank," she said under her breath, her eyes going round. Her stomach lurched. Cold sweat ran down the side of her face as she slowed, looking with feigned interest at the nearest tree. A dog bounded up to her, its thick fan-like tail wagging furiously. Its tongue lolled out, giving it a comical appearance. Tora hissed, her eyes flashing. Pins and needles shot up and down her arms. The animal looked so tempting.

With a whimper, it hurried away, its floppy ears held flat against its skull. It tucked its tail between its legs and gave her furtive glances as it retreated. Tora forced herself to face ahead again and carried on moving. It took her a while to realise she was clenching her fists so hard her bones were cracking. The heat surging through her body made her feel so alive and powerful. Time almost stopped.

Pumping her arms up and down – she was moving without effort – the air that breezed over her thickened skin had barely any effect. Each individual leaf on the trees that passed fluttered in the wind. Night fell, bu the details were crisp as if she saw them through a microscope.

The street lights fell behind her. Shadows lurked in every corner. She'd left the part of the park frequented by joggers and other members of the public. The falling temperature didn't bother her. In fact, the heat in her core burned with such ferocity that she wondered if she was glowing. Her legs flew, light as feathers, over the pavement. Her heart thumped at the same rate. Adrenaline pounded through her veins. Her mind emptied of all her worries and frustrations. Ross's antagonisms seemed like the thoughts of yesterday.

She'd lost count of how many miles she'd gone, although she still had a vague idea of where home was. Nobody would miss her if she left for a few hours anyway. The quiet and peace was therapeutic. She hadn't passed anyone in the streets for a good while now. If she looked either way, in the dim light she might have been fooled into thinking there were creatures lurking.