Chapter 34: Meeting in the Dark

"I've sensed Lilitha's growth," said Pirrica, propping her knees up so that she could rest her elbows on the kneecaps. Today, she wore the appearance of a slightly older human girl, perhaps eight or nine, with jet black hair and a blunt fringe. Dark liquid seeped from her eyes, running down her round cheeks like tears of tar. "Is she coming back soon?"

Four figures sat around the table made of the bones of Smallgrill. Their skeletal structures were so strong and sturdy that, combined with the ethereal glow in the presence of great power, it made perfect furniture. Cimerus grinned, his chiselled features highlighted all the more by the weak light from the table.

"Yes, that was quite an impressive surge. Certainly feels like the Lilitha we all know. I think her mind is near restored."

"Took her long enough," said Azyazel with a growl, his flame-like hair simmering to show his impatience. "With our war with the Sentinels drawing ever closer, it is hardly the time for her to frolic in another dimension."

Piricca clapped her hands, letting out a delighted squeal.

"Well I look forward to Lilitha's return. Life will be so much more interesting!"

"You alone have caused the extinction of at least five demon species and realms – more than both Abaddeon and Azyazel added together." Cimerus's amused smile mirrored the innocent-faced Shifter's. "Is that not enough for you?"

"It's not that. It's the company," she said, looking pointedly at Abaddeon and then at Azyazel. "Everybody's taking themselves too seriously here. There's no fun."

"I enjoy my killing just as much as you," said Abaddeon, tilting his blank-faced head. He sat perfectly still in his pristine black and white suit and tie, one pair of hands clasped in front of him and the others tucked neatly behind his back. His deadpan voice reverberated around the room.

"Am I not good enough company?" said Cimerus.

"Yes, but I like her more. She likes to trust her instincts. You trust your mind – you sit back and think too much. Lilitha just gets on and does it."

"That was back when father was in charge. She'll have to step up to her role as commander when she returns. The Shifters need her."

The room fell silent.

"How goes the progress with the other realms?"

"The Umbrage are done," said Piricca almost at once. She grinned, her golden eyes gleaming. She toyed with her hair before patting it in place, giggling. "It was great. I could smell Lilitha on some of them. Such a sweet scent – I miss it. I had to fight not to lose control when I was devouring those things. She tastes so good."

"I hope you didn't get drunk on the demon queen," said Azyazel in a stern voice. Piricca stuck out her forked tongue at him.

"I'm just saying I miss our fights. Nothing like a bloody fight to near-death to appreciate life." She shuffled so that she sat cross-legged. "But I tasted something else when I ate them all."

"Lilitha's little strange human friends?" said Abaddeon, his voice scratchy, raising his head and surveying Piricca with his featureless face. "Some of the other demons have traces of them still. They're not human."

"No, not them, exactly." Piricca pouted, drumming her short fingers on the glowing bone table. "I had a good taste of all of them after the Umbrage attack, thanks to Lilitha sending them all back to their realms instead of just destroying them. The horns were especially tasty... but that's not it. There was Lilitha's blood and there were the blood of three others that aren't demon, but they aren't human either."