Chapter 62: Raging Demons

"You're mimicking that Traveller's ability," said Cimerus.

Kerela narrowed her eyes and drew another arrow. The comment had irked her, Cimerus could tell. The point of the arrow quivered. She released it. The arrow split into three copies, their tail feathers ruffling convincingly in the air. Cimerus dodged them with ease.

"Come, now. Moorin had his talents with that, but in your hands it's nothing more remarkable than in a human's."

Kerela's jaws tightened at the comparison. She sent out another set of arrows. Cimerus caught sight of the real one before it duplicated. The illusions passed harmlessly through him.

Cimerus lifted a chunk of rubble with his mind. It flew towards Kerela. She leapt back. As she landed, Piricca appeared from behind her and slashed at her face. Kerela raised her arms and blocked it, dropping the bow and arrow in the process. Piricca snarled, golden eyes gleaming. She slammed her long leg into Kerela, who took the attack sideways-on. Piricca's limb curled around Kerela's waist – and Piricca twisted.

The Sentinel's feet left the ground. Kerela tucked her legs in and added to the spin. For a fleeting second, the two became a blur. They landed on the ground in a wrestling heap. Piricca extracted her head and snapped at Kerela's face. The redhead kept her at elbow's distance before the two snapped apart. Piricca shot at her. Kerela struck her head-on. Dust and chunks of dirt flew into the air.

Kerela's armour protected her from most of Piricca's attacks, but the latter was relentless and ruthless. They tumbled, each aiming for the other's weak points. Piricca rolled to her feet first, hackles raised. She coiled and sprang. Kerela didn't have time to draw her longsword. Piricca landed a few blows to the shoulders and aimed to bite at Kerela again. Her fangs landed on metal. It withstood her jaws.

The two kept at the assault, Piricca with long teeth and claws and Kerela with armoured arms. Neither yielded. Kerela punched Piricca into the abdomen, sending her reeling away, hissing. On the armour-clad forearm there were deep teeth marks.

Piricca snapped at the Sentinel again. She switched her trajectory at the last minute, appearing behind Kerela.

The Sentinel drew her sword.

Piricca spun and slammed her calf into the side of Kerela's head. Kerela let out a 'phuh' as it connected. Her legs buckled under the strength. Piricca kept a steely leg lock around Kerela's head. They fell again. Kerela's sword turned and pierced Piricca's flank.

They were in a heap once more. Kerela's red hair came out of its neat plait. She had a split brow and blood coming from her lips. Piricca locked her leg tight around Kerela's neck, squeezing. The sword was thrust halfway down its hilt into her side, exacerbated by their fall. Blood trickled along its edge. Piricca's arms clamped Kerela's legs, pinning them together. The Sentinel's arms were wedged beneath, one hand barely clutching the sword.

Kerela gasped for breath, face down on the ground. Her cheeks turned red and were heading to blue. Her limbs trembled but showed no sign of relenting. Her fingers clutched the handle still. She managed to summon some semblance of strength to twist it despite the awkward angle. Piricca shrieked, letting go enough for Kerela to free her other hand. She jabbed her fingers at Piricca's thigh around her neck. Fresh blood oozed when she removed her fingers. Piricca let out another scream.

The Sentinel took the chance and released her sword. In one movement, she'd wrenched her arms free and jabbed all ten fingers into Piricca's exposed back. Piricca's scream died in her throat. Her body let out a spasm.

Kerela kicked. Her heel narrowly missed Piricca's face, but it was enough to throw her off-balance. Piricca swung off, stiff and gurgling. Kerela tugged the sword out of her and swung it high in the air.