Chapter 40: The Return

The forcefield collapsed. Screams filled Tora's ears. The Shadowlings swarmed, smothering them in a suffocating wave of freezing air. So much pain – the psychological pain was far worse than any physical pain she could imagine. Her broken, useless arm didn't bother her, nor did that raging headache. All of Carlos and Damien's worst nightmares came to life, and she on the receiving end of the sickening spell.

Die, demon child, die!

Not worth anything. People will literally know nothing if I died. They wouldn't even see me. I'm worthless, worthless...

We could build a new world together, Lil. Just you and me. Trust me. Everyone has the capacity to love and trust; they just need the right environment to bloom.

Maraduc.

The realisation that she would see more of those close to her heart die because of her incompetence hit her in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her. Lilitha eased closer and closer to the surface of Tora's consciousness, letting her taste more of the promised powers.

Their screams weakened.

Tora's hand shot out. A forcefield enclosed around the nearest demon, encapsulating it in the invisible wall. It took the spherical shape, straining against the barrier. The forcefield shrank until it was the size of a fist, containing pitch-black smoke.

Tora opened her mouth. The Shadowling slipped in. It dispelled on hitting the back of her throat.

Energy flooded through her body, much like the golden liquid from the beginning.

Her flesh melted over her skin. Warmth swept over her, bathing her pain and easing her terror. After a brief period of serenity, strength returned to her muscles. Her eyes opened. The world was crisp and clear, the ravage all too obvious. The stink of fear and smoke reached her nose, with a hint of blood – probably hers.

Her tail swished. She had never felt better.

Her arm shot out, catching the head of the next Shadowling. Before it could let out a rattle of panic, she'd swallowed it, savouring the energy it provided. She licked her lips. The deliciousness of these meals had long been forgotten until now.

Not too far from her, Cimerus did the same, inhaling the last Shadowling. He smacked his lips before turning to his Shifter form, the wounds from his previous fight disappearing. Sweat-drenched blonde hair dried, becoming slicked-back against his skull. A grin stretched across his black leathery face.

"Welcome b—"

He was cut off when she jumped for his throat.

He leapt out of her reach, pupils fixed on her. She followed with a furious set of wild swipes aimed for his face. He propelled himself backwards on powerful lean legs. He closed the distance between them on landing.

They clashed, just once, in mid-air. Tora landed on all fours, her claws digging into the ground and leaving thick lines in the concrete as she slid. Blood crusted at her fingertips. A snarl revealed jagged yellow teeth. Golden eyes narrowed.

Cimerus landed in a similar fashion, but with less grace. A gash stretched from his shoulder down his upper arm. Thick blood oozed out.

Tora kept her eyes on him, her tail swishing. Careful feet paced the ground with deliberate steps. The two demons circled each other, each waiting for the other to strike.

Cimerus struck first this time round. Tora tried to swerve to get round the back. His teeth caught her by her neck. Her balance tipped over; her legs slid from beneath her. They crashed to the floor, upending one of the half-melted metal bins.